Toro for ARM r52

This forums is for OS project announcements including project openings, new releases, update notices, test requests, and job openings (both paying and volunteer).
z0rr0

Toro for ARM r52

Post by z0rr0 »

Hello everyone, I started to port Toro unikernel to arm r52. The idea is to run Toro in EL2 and the application/guest in EL1/EL0. Does anyone have experience with this architecture? The R52 is a real-time processor or a processor for real-time use cases, and does not support virtual memory.
z0rr0

Re: Toro for ARM r52

Post by z0rr0 »

Hello everyone, moving forward with this topic let me show you some of the work I've done recently. I was able to port the memory module and implement a simple scheduler. You can find a video here: https://youtu.be/560yan-Zm2g

Cheers!
chase
Site Admin
Libera.chat IRC: chase_osdev
Discord: chase/matt.heimer

Post by chase »

Why the interest in R52?
z0rr0

Post by z0rr0 »

My interest on this processor is for realtime use cases. I am planning to run Toro as EL2 and a realtime OS in EL1 or several of them as different VMs. It seems that this architecture has several optimization to handle better realtime workloads. I am not aware of all these features though. I know that the processor does not translate addresses for example and thus it does not have mmu. It provides two MPU one for EL2 and another for EL1 but it is not like the segmentation in x86, instead, it defines regions without translation.