Shipwreck OS

This forums is for OS project announcements including project openings, new releases, update notices, test requests, and job openings (both paying and volunteer).
slackbeard

Shipwreck OS

Post by slackbeard »

Hey there,
Shipwreck OS is a project I started around 3 years ago and just finished up and pushed to github. It's very minimal for an OS but served me greatly as a personal exercise in design and programming. I also learned a lot from this forum and even untangled some of my issues just by reading other people's discussions here, so thanks a bunch to everyone here!

It's an OS for x86 PCs written in C++11, it has a simple GUI and minimal ELF support that it uses to load its shell program - which only supports a "help" command as a proof-of-concept.

It uses TAR as its filesystem so the disk image is literally a tar file prepended with a boot sector. Its API includes some file IO, threading, locks and GUI functions. The GUI is controlled by syncing a window hierarchy between userland and the kernel. I wasn't aiming for security so there are places in the code where pointers are blindly trusted by the kernel and array bounds might be unchecked.

For development I used clang, cmake and nasm on Ubuntu. I tried building the project on OSX with the same tool chain but it required too much tweaking so I wrote a Dockerfile that closely resembles my dev environment - theoretically anyone with Docker can build the project now.

I also included a pre-built virtual disk (as a .vmdk file) in a separate branch in case anyone wants to see it without building it, but keep in mind there's not much to it.

During development I ran it on VirtualBox, never on real hardware. I've used VMware and Bochs for past projects so I wouldn't be surprised if it works on those.

Anyway, I got the project to a state where I feel good wrapping it up and moving on to other stuff - it was a fun educational project and I reached my main goals with it. I won't be actively working on it for now but if anyone wants to read it or add to it, go right ahead.
TheCool1Kevin

Re: Shipwreck OS

Post by TheCool1Kevin »

It's quite cute ^-^
LiquiDOS, my weird hobbyist OS.
"Strive for progress, not perfection" - Anonymous