OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: The Path to Total Freedom - a thought experiment
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:57 pm 

Hi,

intx13 wrote:
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." And Sagan didn't even have to think about writing drivers for closed source hardware!

If you want to make an OS (for a sub-set of existing hardware) from scratch...

Cheers,

Brendan

For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:19 pm 

typing opcodes directly vs. writing compiler. not sure which one is better.

key takeaway after spending yrs on sw industry: big issue small because everyone jumps on it and fixes it. small issue is big since everyone ignores and it causes catastrophy later. #devilisinthedetails

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:02 pm 

while a C compiler or something like that would be hard, a assembler would probably be a lot easier, especially without stuff like macros.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:27 pm 

iansjack wrote:
Nobody can force you to upgrade. If you think your computer and software are good today they are just as good tomorrow. So if you don't want the improvements provided by new hardware and new software, just stick with the old stuff. A 5250 is as powerful today as when it was first made.
Very true. A 5250 would end up in my collection simply because I want to do more then what it can provide. But I could nowadays easily get by with a system that's 8 year old. In the past you had to make that decision, either upgrade and do new great thing or be happy with what you have. Nowadays it might speed things up a a bit if you buy a new system, but there isn't a new killer feature that you just can't do on your old system. As a matter of fact, I find myself buying less powerful but more portable gear instead which still does what I want it to do and more.

What a wonderful time to live in...

On the subject of a totally "free" ecosystem... well.. the quote marks says it all. Impossible and even if by the grace of some higher power somebody would succeed. Then they would impose a license, somebody would steal it and put a license on it or some public domain restriction from a government would impose limitations. Even if it's not enforced.... it'll imho never be free in a pure ideological sense.

Failed project: GoOS - https://github.com/nutterts/GoOS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:24 pm 

Not really relevant to this, but when reading the phrase, "The Path to Total Freedom", I cannot help but recall the last time I read it: in the book Bare-Faced Messiah, which quotes L. Ron Hubbard's use of it in describing the goal of Scientology.

I really doubt you meant anything like the 'freedom' that Sea Org et. al. enforces on the church's members, but it still sounds creepy to me...