OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: A question about deadlock
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:14 pm 

I have a nagging doubt about the conditions required to avoid deadlock... One of the developers at my customer's company (which shall not be named) insists that in order to avoid deadlock when locking multiple mutexes, you have to always lock them in the same order, and then unlock them in the exact opposite order.

All the literature I've ever been able to find mentions only locking in the same order, not unlocking in the opposite order. Just sitting and thinking about it, I can't see how varying the order of unlocking could cause any problems. So who is right, me or the customer? :P

BTW, allowing multithreading in components that implement a standard interface that's 16 years old is a bad idea. Guess which idiots decided to allow it? I'll give you a hint -- they work in Redmond. :evil:

3. My brain got stuck in an infinite loop while trying to design the memory manager
Don't let this happen to you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:59 pm 

I would say that whichever order you use, mutexes must always be unlocked in the same order they were locked, because locking or unlocking one mutex might affect threads that want to touch the other mutexes.

Post subject: Re: A question about deadlock
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:14 pm 

Hi,

Colonel Kernel wrote:
I have a nagging doubt about the conditions required to avoid deadlock... One of the developers at my customer's company (which shall not be named) insists that in order to avoid deadlock when locking multiple mutexes, you have to always lock them in the same order, and then unlock them in the exact opposite order.

All the literature I've ever been able to find mentions only locking in the same order, not unlocking in the opposite order. Just sitting and thinking about it, I can't see how varying the order of unlocking could cause any problems. So who is right, me or the customer? :P

You're right....

However, unlocking in reverse order might be better for performance in some situations, especially if unlocking a lock can cause a higher priority task to be unblocked and preempt the task that unlocked. For example, imagine there's 2 threads that both need the same 2 mutexes and low priority threadA has already locked both locks when high priority threadB becomes ready to run:
Code:
ThreadB starts running
ThreadB is blocked until lockA is unlocked
Scheduler does task switch to threadA
ThreadA unlocks lockA and ThreadB is unblocked
Scheduler does task switch to threadB
ThreadB is blocked until lockB is unlocked
ThreadA unlocks lockB and ThreadB is unblocked

Compared to unlocking in the reverse order:
Code:
ThreadB starts running
ThreadB is blocked until lockA is unlocked
ThreadA unlocks lockB (ThreadB is still blocked)
ThreadA unlocks lockB and ThreadB is unblocked

Unlocking in reverse order saves you 2 extra task switches.

I know this probably seems trivial, but it's the worst scenario I could think of. ;)

It does make me wonder about code maintenance though. For e.g. can you split your code into seperate functions, where functionA acquires lockA, calls functionB, then unlocks lockA; and where function B acquires lockB and unlocks it? That way you could put all the code that uses lockA (and operates on the data protected by lockA) in the same place, and put all the code that uses lockB (and operates on the data protected by lockB) in the same place.

Cheers,

Brendan

For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.

Post subject: Re: A question about deadlock
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:30 pm 

Brendan wrote:
It does make me wonder about code maintenance though. For e.g. can you split your code into seperate functions, where functionA acquires lockA, calls functionB, then unlocks lockA; and where function B acquires lockB and unlocks it? That way you could put all the code that uses lockA (and operates on the data protected by lockA) in the same place, and put all the code that uses lockB (and operates on the data protected by lockB) in the same place.

Not possible in this case -- normally that's what I would do. In this case, there is a graph of objects that can be modified in parallel by multiple threads, and each modification must be atomic with respect to the others. The problem is that many of these modifications touch many objects, not just one. What I've done is to design a locking protocol that establishes a ranking of all objects to ensure that they are always locked in a consistent order. Unlocking them in the reverse order is actually really easy... I was just wondering if it was necessary. The performance advantage is pretty clear.

From a maintenance perspective, it will be ok, as long as someone understands why it's designed the way it is. :) For example, imagine that functionA() wants to modify objects A, B, and C while functionB() wants to modify objects B, C, and D. Fortunately, by virtue of the spec I'm implementing, I know this ahead of time and can write functionA() so that it calls a "locking subsystem" like "lock( A_B_C, a )" where A_B_C indicates a particular pattern of access and a is the starting point, and functionB() does "lock( B_C_D, b )", and so on. This keeps all the locking/unlocking in one place, guarantees deadlock freedom, and relieves the rest of the implementation from worrying about concurrency (at least when touching the object graph -- Singletons still need to be protected, but that's easy).

In a nutshell, I'm implementing ad-hoc software transactional memory that is specific to the problem domain I'm working in by using locking instead of making "shadow copies" or anything like that. It's nasty and complicated, but also fun. What makes me giggle is the fact that I can guarantee deadlock freedom in my system, and I am 99% sure that existing components of the same type have nasty race conditions and deadlocks in them just waiting to pop up under heavy load. :twisted:

Just goes to show that OS dev (especially memory management) can be good practice for the real world. ;)

3. My brain got stuck in an infinite loop while trying to design the memory manager
Don't let this happen to you!