OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Python pip package
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:14 pm 

Im on Windows and I have python 3.9.0 installed. Whenever I try to run a python file, the python command line pops and closes, and nothing happens. Also, I go through all the pip install procedures and it jsut wont work.

Please help!!!!

Thx,
Pavel

The Universe

Live Long And Prosper

Slava Ukraini!
Слава Україні!

Post subject: Re: Python pip package
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:04 pm 

PavelCheckov wrote:
Im on Windows and I have python 3.9.0 installed. Whenever I try to run a python file, the python command line pops and closes, and nothing happens. Also, I go through all the pip install procedures and it jsut wont work.

I like Python but I'm just more an C and Assembler expert.

Maybe here are Python experts who can help you. But I recommend a more python-related forum for finding more experts:
https://python-forum.io/Forum-General-Coding-Help

Greetings
Peter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:50 pm 

PavelCheckov wrote:
Whenever I try to run a python file, the python command line pops and closes, and nothing happens.

What are you expecting it to do? Python scripts often require command-line parameters, but double-clicking starts the script without any parameters.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:26 pm 

Add python directory to your path
Open cmd ( Command prompt )

Try

Python < path to python file >

See what errors you get

--Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:31 am 

I've heard Python is used heavily for Windows administration, so there should be good info out there. Otherwise, what Thomas said. I've had python running natively on Windows, but haven't used it terribly much. I can confirm it behaves almost identically to how it does on Linux, if it's in your path. VS2019 installs it as "py" rather than "python".

Having said that, if you're running a Python GUI program, the way you're doing it should work if you've got the right libraries. (I needed Pygame for a balanced ternary computer emulator.) Running it from the command line may be the only way you'll see the error.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:16 pm 

eekee wrote:
(I needed Pygame for a balanced ternary computer emulator.)
Ternary? I'd like to see this... :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:13 pm 

foliagecanine wrote:
eekee wrote:
(I needed Pygame for a balanced ternary computer emulator.)
Ternary? I'd like to see this... :D

Certainly! It's called by the world's most unpronounceable acronym, SBTCVM. ;) I used the Mark 2. I had some input, mostly "the CPU needs a stack" because the Mark 2 doesn't have one. (Such is the nature of learn-by-doing. :) ) I implemented stacks in software, but didn't get much of anything else done and ended up realising I needed to get better at low-level programming in general. There's a better SBTCVM now, which I haven't used because I drifted on to other things. It has a higher-level language which isn't Forth. Gen2-9 The screenshots look impressive!

I quite enjoyed balanced ternary, but I wanted something a little more real and I came to realise it's not very practical to implement in hardware -- as far as I can understand. I figured out some logic gates but the best I can do is barely better than the RTL of the 1960s, and relies on particular transistors to even achieve that. (They need to be MOSFETs with a 7V turn-off voltage.) A Russian academic who was involved with the Setun balanced ternary computer explained its design was cost-effective in the era of expensive transistors. Perhaps it was, but it didn't make the best use of its core memory. It used a pair of cores to store one trit; holding 1 of 3 values, where a binary computer could store 2 bits in the same 2 cores; 1 of 4 values. This is strange because I would have thought the cores could be polarised either way to store 1 trit each, but I don't really know anything about how core memory works or how the Setun practically operated with diodes and coils in place of transistors. And I'm sure I'm waaaay off topic now. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:56 am 

I tried to build a ternary computer @ the beginning of the pandemic, but realized that I didn't have the right equipment, so its sitting in the back of my workshop. Recently, I made a C library that supports ternary data types (ex: tryte, trit, tribble), for a simulator of a trinary computer. :mrgreen:

The Universe

Live Long And Prosper

Slava Ukraini!
Слава Україні!