OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: any expert on iometer?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:34 pm 

I have started investigating iometer tool features, any is highly experienced? If so few questions, very specific:

- Once I start the iometer, I always see 32 workers, regardless of CPU core count. This is even if I setup the test setup->Number of workers->disk to # of CPUs. Any reason why or is it a bug or limitation?

- In the topology, I see computer name scope in which workers are listed. I can select the host name and assign same parameters to all workers at once. For example, I select the hostname and then set the "maximum disk size" field to 4096 and then click each or any of the workers it is also set to 4096 following host name setting. But this does not happen for "targets". If I select the host name and then set the target to for example c:, then expect workers within the hostname scope will all set to c: drive but unfortunately it doesnot. As a result, I have click every worker and select the disk target, which is overly tedious. Is there any workaround for this? Thanks!

key takeaway after spending yrs on sw industry: big issue small because everyone jumps on it and fixes it. small issue is big since everyone ignores and it causes catastrophy later. #devilisinthedetails

Post subject: Re: any expert on iometer?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:18 pm 

ggodw000 wrote:
Once I start the iometer, I always see 32 workers, regardless of CPU core count. This is even if I setup the test setup->Number of workers->disk to # of CPUs. Any reason why or is it a bug or limitation?

It is my understanding that you generally remove all workers first, create a new worker with the configuration (i.e. c: drive etc), and the clone said worker by right clicking on it over and over for N cpus... If you want a worker on d: drive as well - then repeat the above procedure for it.

And then save configuration....

google sandisk iometer - they have a good tutorial even if it is sandisk specific.

cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:35 am 

thx, will try out and see how it goes.

key takeaway after spending yrs on sw industry: big issue small because everyone jumps on it and fixes it. small issue is big since everyone ignores and it causes catastrophy later. #devilisinthedetails

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:28 pm 

I fiddled with it, IMO, iometer is terrible and also it appears no longer maintained. I can add replicate the workers using one of the designated buttons then it adds worker 1, worker 1... etc., does not add incrementing workers i.e worker 2, worker 3. I am assuming what that number is designated for CPU core No.

Few other attemps (which I forgot) was futile. Also automation effort from linux does not look good because driver (iometer itself) has to run from Windows and communicates with linux component called dynamo.

Searching for other tools..
Thanks.,