OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Dark Basic
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:27 am 
is this program good? can someone give me more info about it? i downloaded the demo, but i havent gotten to try it out yet.

Post subject: Re:Dark Basic
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:17 am 
This is the most easy easy easy easy, etc., basic in the entire world: Download this:

http://www.basicguru.com/rapidq/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:19 am 
With that, RapidQ, you can have a program made in click.

I don't know about DarkBasic.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:20 am 
I don't know if RQ is good at making games. :-\

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:04 pm 
ok thanks tom.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:07 pm 
also, can BASIC be downloaded? link?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:02 pm 
What BASIC are you talking about?

QBasic 1.1 was included with dos and later with windows (I'm sure it's on the win 95 cd-rom, I think it's on the win 98 cd-rom too, don't know for sure)

QBasic 4.5 and QBasic Extented (QBX or QBasic 7.4) can be found around the net, but I'm not sure this is legal.

There's also GW-BASIC, just BASIC, BASICA... don't bother about them...

A demo of Dark Basic can be downloaded on Dark Basic website. I had a quick look at it and I must say, I liked it!

Never heard of RQ, but I'm downloading it now...

For QBasic games, check my site...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:41 pm 
i havent really experimented with dark basic yet. ill try to soon.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:49 pm 
Quote:
Tell me how you like RQ, please.

I like it, I really do, but... why not use Visual Basic?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:04 pm 
Because it costs too much for me to get...and i'd ebay it...but I don't program in VB too much any more...all C++.

C++ is fun for me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 6:11 pm 
Everyone knows my VB stance :D but I've never used any of the modern variants of Basic (last one I used was QBASIC and before that, TRS-80 BASIC). What are Dark Basic's main features and capabilities? What kind of apps is it optimized for?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:59 am 
Hey,

Which one will it be man?? You're trying all these languages!! If you REALLY want to make games, learn C++ and use Allegro, or if you are too lazy to learn C++ or use Allegro (It is easy to use Allegro, But the graphics and everything will take ages!) Then get a Game Engine, there are lots around:

SCI Studio
Adventure Game Studio
AGI Studio
Game Maker

Thats just a few in LOTS!

Why are you so eager to make games anyway?, I am not discouraging you, but you're not going to make something like Jedi Knight 2, your first game will be very plain 2D. And if you do want something good, with 3D it will take you YEARS. Because you are just one person, and there is a limit to what you can do. Professional game makers have teams of people (BIG TEAMS) and multi million dollar budgets. So don't expect your games to put the outta busines ;D And your game probably will not be played by alot of people. Not a lot of people can bother downloading games off the internet, then again, alot do bother ;D

Good Luck ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:34 pm 
ok first off, im learning c++, but not yet. im waiting until i get this book which will hopefully be on christmas. if not, then i will buy the book myself, shortly after christmas. btw, the book is Learn C++ Today.

Now, in the meantime, while im waiting, im experimenting with all these languages. so im just fooling around until i get it.

Jelle, why do you like it so much? I mean, I havent really tried it out yet, i only tried a print command. i say on the site, you can make a game by only writing a few lines of code. could you explain to me how this would be done? also is it easy to make a game with it?

also, berserk, i am going to start off with dos games. maybe like a wolf 3d game. after i get good with win32 apps (dos i think) or win32 games you could say ;) im gonna go into windows programming or MFC i think its called.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:09 am 
Why do I like it? You mean Dark Basic?
Well, my first programming language was QBasic, I made a lot of programs with it and I became quite good at it (although I can't describe good when talking about QBasic :) ). But QBasic has its limits and I know how hard it was to use graphics in my games... Dark Basic makes this all a little easier...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:37 am 
If you're interested in 3d game making go to http://conitec.net/a4info.htm and download the demo. It's fun and real easy. Some programming involved. But you can make games without programming knowledges.
But Dark Basic is a great program too.

-Eigen