OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: creating hardware device, need help with windows crap
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:30 pm 
a friend and i have decided to creat a hardware device for the PC. We will make a simple LED device that plugs into the bus in the PC. along with this, we also want to write the software to run the device in the windows operating system. (i know much ASM, C/C++ and some VB, he knows VB and web languages very well) My question is, how do we configure windows to run the hardware device, and write and configure a driver? ive read some on msdn but all its doing is confusing me.

thanks,

Spam

Post subject: Re:creating hardware device, need help with windows crap
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:31 am 
Whoa! Back up a bit!

You want to plug your device into the PC's bus? Which one? I suggest you work that part out first, then think about writing a driver. I should think that writing a Windows driver will be easier than building, say, a PCI or USB device.

Anyway, the first thing you will need to do is obtain a copy of the Windows DDK (http://www.microsoft.com/ddk/) and, ideally, a second computer.

Post subject: Re:creating hardware device, need help with windows crap
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:39 pm 
we were thinking a PCI device. A large part of this would be accually done at school, so we have several hundred different computers to work with :)

I'm looking for information on the PCI and other BUS device specifics, so we can design the hardware accordingly. if you have any resources, please i'm al ears :)