OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: GNU Copyrights....
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:48 pm 
Hello...

I'd like to ask...I know I better read the MS Copyright but

Has any one made GNU Software with VC++? ( i.e. is it ok to do so? )

Also...is it correct to make .Mid or other sound files GNU Copyrighed?

Thank you,

Post subject: Re:GNU Copyrights....
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:28 pm 
Doesn't GNU only apply to source code? Perhaps if there was some intermediate source that the midi file was compiled from.

- Nick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:33 am 
the GNU license applies to source code and derivative works, which includes only source code and binary files. Micro$oft's MSVC licence doesn't cover the license of the software you write with it, with the exception of introductory edition (which mandates that software produced with it cannot be distributed).

a .mid file would not be covered by it, since it is an artistic work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:45 am 
Why use the GNU license?? I have a copy of it, not bad. But i recommend that you write your own license, to satisfy your needs.

As for VC++ Copyright, any software that you make with it is YOURS, not Microsofts, unless you are using one of those demo thingys wich only has a debug compile option. If the software I made with VC++ used some Microsoft license, then i would flush my VC++ 6 Enterprise, down the dunny ;D So, any software that you make with VC++, runs under your own license.

Ciao ;D
& Keep on programming.....;D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:53 am 
the GNU licenses make it possible to open-source your code and keep it open-sourced. this ensures that the code can be improved and that the improved code can continue to be improved. other licenses don't do this.

if someone wants to use the GNU GPL or LGPL, it's their right. they understand what GPL does and why it would be good for their project.

writing your own license is a very difficult task because you may use language that would leave a loophole in your license that would allow anyone to do what they want with your software, including using your code in their project and not giving you credit or contributing to your efforts. i'd leave writing legalese to the legal fools - the lawyers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:57 am 
I would prefer to use a license that many people are using. Many eyes would have gone over it and while there may not be a legal precedent.. it probably covers more bases than something you could make up yourself.

For people who include your source in their programs:
GPL if you want people to share their code. BSD or MIT if you just want your name recognised and don't want to offer any guarantees.

I use the MIT license in NAGI and I know Microsoft has included some BSD code in Windows. (open source makes Windows better!)

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/

- Nick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:05 pm 
Berserk wrote:
But i recommend that you write your own license, to satisfy your needs.

The GNU licence is perfect for FritzOS. FritzOS is for learning and I really really like linux and GNU software, so I thought that some more code would help. I'm not out there to bash MS, but I like GNU and MS Software.

Anyway, to have a GNU MIDI, i'd need to download a GNU Midi maker?

Thank you,

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:08 pm 
Nick Sonneveld wrote:
I use the MIT license in NAGI and I know Microsoft has included some BSD code in Windows. (open source makes Windows better!)

Oh...that makes me :o

If MS will use that code...isn't that illigel?

Or is BSD lgpl or someother licence ( or did I read wrong and it's that opensource thing? ).

I don't want FritzOS code in non-free programs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 7:02 pm 
noo... I don't think you quite understand.

BSD Unix was released under a BSD license. You can use the code in your projects and you don't have to release the source. You do have to acknowledge them though so you have to put their name somewhere. This is why ms uses some of this code.

Linux (and FritzOS) uses GPL. If you use GPL code in your own code or you modify it then release binaries.. you have to release the code as well. That's what you agree to when you use the GPL licensed code.

That's the big difference between GPL and BSD. GPL.. you have to release the code. BSD, you don't.

- Nick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:04 pm 
Ok...I do release FritzOS's code...I read that I had to...that's ok with me...because it's helped some and some have helped me with the code.

So, i'd need a GNU Midi maker?

Thank you,

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:54 am 
That would be a yes..."derivative works"...