OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Games with Visual C++
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:28 pm 
Anyone know any good site for info how to make games with Visual C++ and now I mean games with graphics, not any DOS-adventures. And I'm just lookin for sites that provide info on making GAMES with VC++.

Post subject: Re:Games with Visual C++
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:00 pm 
gamedev.net (currently down for service as of 14 November 2002) and GameTutorials.com both cover graphics programming and game design in general. GT in particular has a lot on OpenGL and DirectX programming.

There is also a version of Michael Abrash's classic Graphics Programming Black Book available online. While it is rather dated now (1998), it remains one of the best books on high-performance programming ever written.

BTW, don't expect to dive right into writing a first-person shooter or flight sim if you don't have a lot of experience at C++ programming in general and have written a few 'DOS-adventures' and simple tile games (e.g., Tetris, Breakout) first. That way lies madness. Game programming makes OS design and compiler writing look like child's play; save perhaps for some types of mission-critical embedded designs, high-performance game programming is the most difficult type of programming there is. Games like Unreal or Black and White have teams of hundreds of programmers, designers and artist working on them, and are usually led by a archwizard-level designer like Michael Abrash or John Romero - and even people like that can screw up big time, as in the case of Daikatana. Even if you are a design genius like Sid Meier or a major coding wizard like John Carmack, you still will have a long way to go before you're ready for the big time. I' not trying to discourage you, quite the opposite; you just should know that if you fall on your face the first time or (ten times) you try to write something, it's no fault of yours. As long as you keep working at it and learning, you'll ge there, but it won't happen overnight.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:25 pm 
That's the point!I have the skills of windows programming, every book teaches you that. I want that info of how to make those tile graphic games with Visual C++.
Oh, thanks for those first links^^

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:06 am 
Okay, I want to do a nice little DOS-adventure game with Visual C++. Where would be a good site that has info about the commands and some examples?You know...it's difficult to try out every command by myself^^;

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 8:55 pm 
The source code for Nethack should be available and open.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:31 am 
Andrew_Baker wrote:
The source code for Nethack should be available and open.

Where can I find Nethack?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:48 am 
why, Nethack.org, of course! ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:00 am 
You could look at the MSDN for information on MFC...posibly graphics libs in VC++...

MSDN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:02 pm 
I think no-one noticed this (or maybe even he didn't!) but now I'd like to get some help with the codes for DOS adventure.