OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: are ARM dev board are always better for IoT like development
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:45 pm 

I might be doing some IoT related projects in the future. I am too much used to x86 development and almost paid no attention to ARM SOC design. I know the ARM is better for embedded, low power and IoT design in general but last time I have developed with ARM like Mcu was 10 years ago with Texas Instrument and it has gotten way too foreign to me. So I am considering to use x86 option and looking at x86 development option, I see Intel Quark dev boards. Are they competitive at all to ARM in terms of low cost, performance etc.,?

I may end up working on some low-power application with multi color LCD display unit. To speed the development process as much as possible, I'd really like to use Python with built-in libraries (Specially when LCD display is concerned and also for interacting with other SOC components) although I have experience in C and asm.

I am not sure any x86 development board is available to fit this bill.
Thanks!

key takeaway after spending yrs on sw industry: big issue small because everyone jumps on it and fixes it. small issue is big since everyone ignores and it causes catastrophy later. #devilisinthedetails

Post subject: Re: are ARM dev board are always better for IoT like develop
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:18 am 

I have several ARM based boards that I've played around with that cost between $8 and $35. The cheapest x86 board that I've found is around $100, so price-wise there is really no comparison. I also doubt you can run an x86 board off of a USB power cable.

Python should be available for any ARM board you can buy today. Unfortunately, x86 boards just can't compete in this area, especially considering that I can get a $150 laptop at Best Buy for just a few dollars more than a Quark board.

I'd love to have a $25 x86 based board, but I have yet to find one.

Edit: It looks like you can get a Galileo 2nd gen board for around $60, now. So that may be an option. However it does not come with wifi or Bluetooth or onboard storage, all of which my $8 CHIP boards have built in. So still not really in the same ballpark. But on the plus side, you can install windows, and write C++ applications and remote debug using visual studio, so it may be worth the extra $$.

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." - Montgomery Scott

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:02 am 

SpyderTL wrote:
I have several ARM based boards that I've played around with that cost between $8 and $35. The cheapest x86 board that I've found is around $100, so price-wise there is really no comparison. I also doubt you can run an x86 board off of a USB power cable.

Python should be available for any ARM board you can buy today. Unfortunately, x86 boards just can't compete in this area, especially considering that I can get a $150 laptop at Best Buy for just a few dollars more than a Quark board.

Edit: It looks like you can get a Galileo 2nd gen board for around $60, now. So that may be an option. However it does not come with wifi or Bluetooth or onboard storage, all of which my $8 CHIP boards have built in. So still not really in the same ballpark. But on the plus side, you can install windows, and write C++ applications and remote debug using visual studio, so it may be worth the extra $$.

Do you have a link for the $8 ARM?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:08 pm 

https://getchip.com/pages/chip

They're actually $9. I got mine on sale for $8 :)

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." - Montgomery Scott

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:08 pm 

SpyderTL wrote:

I think that is good point, the intel is far power punch applications like servers. Although later chips and CPUs have a deeper sleep states to conserve power.

And I think entry barrier is too high.

Perhaps may be spend time to get hands dirty on ARM architecture :D
You design your stuff on development board how do you make it into production?
Anyone has gone through this stage to reach marketable product?

key takeaway after spending yrs on sw industry: big issue small because everyone jumps on it and fixes it. small issue is big since everyone ignores and it causes catastrophy later. #devilisinthedetails