OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re:I want to learn Visual C++ 6.0, where should i start?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:55 am 
C++ is complicated .... compilcated.... compilcated etc...and then once you learn it...it's easy...confusing...and then easy....but you'll be able to program anything ( except bootsectors...mostly ).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:09 pm 
sweet. im gonna learn it then. i just gotta wait til i get the book. i dont know when i will get it. i dont know if i will buy it. maybe i will ask for christmas.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:11 pm 
I have a friend (a fiend[sorry, latin and english are the best languages to make jokes about funny words]) in Japan who has been programming with VC++ for...I think like three years or so and he isn't the man in it yet^^There's always something new you can learn and it's true that it is a complicated language...He is working in a firm as a part time(or is it part-time..) programmer though, and maybe that tells something about him...If you learn the thing in two years and don't quit in the middle, I'll be so proud that I'll buy you a coffee.^^
I think comparing C++ to something like...hmm...Pascal...the main difference is the fact that you CAN learn everything about pascal from books...and also the fact that pascal...hmm...sucks...in nearly everything^^

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:40 pm 
I'm happy your willing enough to learn VC++!

I fund all my books...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:43 pm 
I think you [Joey] will probly learn C++ faster than 2 years ;)

It also depends on time you have on the computer ;)...if you have that much a post count...you probly will learn C++ fast :) . But...don't spend too much time learning C++...once you get fusterated...take a 5-ten minute brake and post here ;)

Hope that helps,

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:39 pm 
actually im not supposed to be on the pc now. monday to thursday i cant use the pc. i can only use it on fri, sat, and sun, or any days off from school. this sucks. but i sneak in the internet and tell me mom im doing hm or something. this pisses me off i wont have much time to work on c++. i could always read the book, then do the coding when i can use the pc though. ill find someway to get as much work in as possible. thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:44 pm 
Hmm...I think you can learn C++ a good amount (by time) if you have enough time for THAT post count ;)

Also...I what C++ book are you trying to buy?...
Also...I read the back cover on Learn C++ TODAY! and it says fast results...that worked for me :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:13 am 
Hey Hey,

Get a book called C++ Weekend Crash Course, it's really good. And i've said it once and i will say it again, Get Allegro, it will do you a world of good! And make, making games easier!

Cya.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:43 pm 
ill take things one step at a time berserk. im getting learn c++ today, no matter what anyone says.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:06 pm 
Learn C++ TODAY! Teaches you how to make a editor. With those skills, all C++ stuff is easier, at least for me. I can type up a little example of what the book says so you can see if you really like it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:55 pm 
yes please do that tom. also, what do you mean an editor? oh and would it be hard to make a in program like notepad?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:54 pm 
The book comes with a compiler, a whole DOS IDE ( intergrated development envirment ( a editor, special one at that! ) and alot of other stuff - debuger - help you find bugs....etc.

You don't need notepad with TC++ ( the compiler that comes with the book )!

The editor you make is a DOS editor, since the book teaches your DOS first.

I'll be posting an example when I have more time on the computer ( in a hour or less ). I hope this is not bad...( copyright stuff ).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:56 pm 
oh ok. i can wait tom, dont worry.