The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: MFC, Pure Win32
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:10 pm 
How likely are you to use MFC?

Post subject: Re:MFC, Pure Win32
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:11 pm 
I am on ABSOLUTELY NO!!! side. (First vote by me) Say no to MFC!!! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:14 pm 
Well, I use MFC frequently, actually. And although I'm writing the Base Logic Generator with straight API, there are many times I've thought about migrating it to MFC because it's much cleaner and much easier for most things I want to do.

Now, I'm not a real big fan of the Document/View architecture, but there's nothing that really requires you to use that, and from a design point of view it probably is better to separate the data completely from the display of it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:21 pm 
Thanx Joel for voting and I understand you very well... But the thing that I do not like in MFC is that a lot is encapsulated. But as you say (And I definitely agree) the design is very easy to handle with MFC. Especally in big projects, without MFC thnigs can get very very exhausting for the programmer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:39 pm 
I think I should use MFC 100%.
Because I am a beginner Win32 programmer.

I started with DOS programming, then bought vc++5.
got a book, and then all the sudden I had a crazy idea to make a OS. Started searching on the web, and found this place.

Instead of learning VC++, I was programming an OS! :o weird!
The OS stage i'm in is sorta easier than VC++ programming, so i'm not so smart as you think ;)

For beginners, I think MFC is best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:56 pm 
I agree that MFC is easier for beginners in some respects. Dialog-based applications, in particular, are much simpler with CDialog-derived classes than with API calls and dialog box procedures.

Nevertheless, although I do like using MFC, I think a solid understanding of the API is extremely helpful. For the most part, MFC is a wrapper around the Windows API, so understanding the API can help you understand how MFC works.

For example, if you derive a new class from the MFC class CEdit, providing an OnCreate handler is pointless in certain circumstances, if not altogether, because it doesn't get called. Without an understanding of the API, it's a mystery why the OnCreate handler isn't called. If you try to write your own wrapper around an edit control using the API, however, you realize that MFC doesn't call OnCreate for its wrapper because it hasn't subclassed the edit control yet when the WM_CREATE message is sent to the edit control's window.