OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: VC++ Question:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:00 pm 
I have a question on making a VC++ SDI program.

How can I make a SDI app with no System Bar or boarder? Just plain box with a CView?

Thank you,

Post subject: Re:VC++ Question:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:37 pm 
Well, I haven't figured out how to get rid of the title bar (or if it's even possible), but you can get rid of the system menu by overriding PreCreateWindow in your CMainFrame class. Then add the following:

cs.style &= ~WS_SYSMENU;

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:16 pm 
Just tried for a few minutes and figured out how to do it.

Override CMainFrame::PreCreateWindow like I said and instead of doing what I told you to do in my previous post, do something like this instead:

cs.style = WS_POPUP | WS_VISIBLE;
cs.cx = 200;
cs.cy = 200;

The cs.cx and cs.cy are important...if you don't put them there, the window won't show up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:24 pm 
and if you've got a menu bar that you don't want displayed, you'll also have to add this line:

cs.hMenu = NULL;

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:29 pm 
ty!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:35 am 
i have a visual C++ 6.0 question. i have visual c++ 6.0 started edition or something like that. when i compile a program and run it, it says, Note: please do not distribute any programs made with this blah blah blah.
something in that nature. is there anyway to get rid of it? ???

also, if i got the pro edition (which will be after i learn c++) that would not show up and i can sell and distribute my games right?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 9:37 am 
[attachment deleted by admin]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 1:47 pm 
oh sweet. i gotta start saving up. ::) 200 friggin dollars huh.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 2:20 pm 
I didn't pay that much.

Not even close.

Be a smart ebayer and you can get it for way under $100.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 2:38 pm 
Yeah, EBay would probably be a good place to look. I'm not sure how practical it would be for you to get it like this, Joey, but I got the entire Visual Studio 6.0 suite (visual basic, visual C++, visual J++, visual FoxPro, and visual InterDev) for about $300 at academic pricing, which was about a third of the regular price at the time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 2:41 pm 
Bloodshed software has a Dev-C++ for free. Also, there is DJGPP, but I don't like using it, because it uses a stub file to intro features into 16-bit. The stub file looks like a virus to a lot of anti-virus software. Also, you could develop in Linux, because Linux comes with gcc, an excellent compiler, standard. MS would have you pay too much for products that you can get elsewhere for free.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 3:28 pm 
I downloaded Dev-C++ 4. It's a nice-looking program, that is certain, but I did immediately notice a few Visual C++ features I use very heavily that are absent in the program, most notably auto-completion (what it has is very limited) and graphical dialog editing.

It probably would be a good place to start, though, if you don't want to pay for VC++'s extra features.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 3:44 pm 
Joey: you're probably using something like Visual C++ Educational Edition. Standard edition costs a lot less than Professional (probably under $100) and doesn't give you any annoying message boxes. In fact, the main difference is that Standard doesn't include the optimiser.