OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hardware Development
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:53 am 

I was wondering, if one wanted to experiment with hardware development, can they use Bochs plugins for it? Is it possible to develop new hardware for QEMU/VirtualBox too without tinkering with the source?
If yes, how can I write Bochs plugins and how can I develop hardware for QEMU or VirtualBox?

Post subject: Re: Hardware Development
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:38 pm 

I don't know anything about developing plugins for hardware development for Bochs/QEMU/Vbox but you could try an FPGA. These devices made me fall in love with hardware programming and through them I learned a lot of hardware concurrency and design concepts which you don't learn by writing software.
Depending on what you want to do (I suggest you start small) you can find such devices from 50$ to 50000$.

Post subject: Re: Hardware Development
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:50 pm 

alexg wrote:
I don't know anything about developing plugins for hardware development for Bochs/QEMU/Vbox but you could try an FPGA. These devices made me fall in love with hardware programming and through them I learned a lot of hardware concurrency and design concepts which you don't learn by writing software.
Depending on what you want to do (I suggest you start small) you can find such devices from 50$ to 50000$.

devices like fpga are used to simulate the Hardware Description Language such as VHDL and I don't think he is looking for that
since you talked about fpga i can assume that you know what its used for, I don't think he want to go on logic design and such matters, he stays on the software layer