OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Youngest OSDever
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:23 am 

I was 12, but I basically just copied and pasted Brokenthorn, which didn't work very well in the long run... It wasn't till I was 14 that I new what I was doing.

Now my problem is being too thorough :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:13 am 

When I was ~14 I remember being jealous of another osdever who was around the same age and had their OS written in assembly up to having a basic web browser, while I was stuck on figuring out paging. It might have been the GhostOS person, but I'm not certain.

I'm now 20 and decided to revisit OS development in the past week's mornings, and it was nice to find that I no longer had any trouble, and was able to get to userspace by the end of the week.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:49 am 

2A. I wish, I started, when I was 12, but then my craze was chemistry. :twisted: I got the computer, when I was 27 (in decimal :mrgreen:). it was january 2008. I learnt VBA, then Java, then quickly realized, I want to know how the things really work, instead of these endless OOP abstractions and who "extends" whom and whom "implements" :D and that my biggest interests are C and OS. plus assembly, of course, but it's kind of a dainty, a cherry on top this tempting cake. I decided, that I am going to try to implement an OS probably in 2010, but I knew, I am way not ready for that. I decided to start making it in 2014, I wasn't ready for it still, but then I couldn't resist letting this idea live anymore. so I bought Cubieboard 2 and Beagle Bone Black SBCs, inaugurating by this the start of the era and, practically, for having an architecturally diverse target park, I always remembered, that Windows NT was started this way for not making architecture biased decisions. later that year, I bought iMac g5. the next year I was given a cute MIPS SBC (grateful for this to Alexandru Voica, then an Imagination employee). ^_^ and still am at the very beginning. :mrgreen: at least, the desire is very time stable. and I am glad it is.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:58 am 

nexos wrote:
I was 12, but I basically just copied and pasted Brokenthorn, which didn't work very well in the long run... It wasn't till I was 14 that I new what I was doing.

Now my problem is being too thorough :lol:

That was my starting point too (other than a very simple 16 bit assembly one. Where I thought "BITS 32" would enable 32 bit mode :roll:).

Iteration after iteration followed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:52 am 

Ye i started with 9 or 10, some years ago. I really got interested in OSDev with 8 though, but only saw some projects. I've improved my skills, but still looking forward to improve them even more.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:10 am 

My age is the meaning of life, the universe and everything.

Started back in uni in 2000, so aged 19.