OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How to express more naturally
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:00 am 

In fact, I'm not a native English speaker, and I have no confidence in my English.

So, how can I express more naturally?

Post subject: Re: How to express more naturally
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:50 am 

theflysong wrote:
In fact, I'm not a native English speaker, and I have no confidence in my English.

I understand you perfectly as I'm not a native speaker too. Had to invest many years learning this language. My advice is to watch everything in English (e.g. movies) with subtitles. In 2010 I started watching Youtube and TV series in English with that exact purpose and it worked over the span of a few years. Then, after I started working for an US-based company, my English improved further. Now, everything I do is in English, including reading books (technical and fiction as well) and talking to people (work).

In summary, immerge yourself completely in English content (passive part) and try to talk with people in English too (active part). If you don't know anyone to talk with, there are plenty of sub-reddits about that and making friends online. A lot of people there are from the US, UK or other countries but still speak English fluently. Some people are fine with voice chat. So, you could have fun and improve your English at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:55 am 

vvaltchev wrote:
theflysong wrote:

I understand you perfectly as I'm not a native speaker too. Had to invest many years learning this language. My advice is to watch everything in English (e.g. movies) with subtitles. In 2010 I started watching Youtube and TV series in English with that exact purpose and it worked over the span of a few years. Then, after I started working for an US-based company, my English improved further. Now, everything I do is in English, including reading books (technical and fiction as well) and talking to people (work).

In summary, immerge yourself completely in English content (passive part) and try to talk with people in English too (active part). If you don't know anyone to talk with, there are plenty of sub-reddits about that and making friends online. A lot of people there are from the US, UK or other countries but still speak English fluently. Some people are fine with voice chat. So, you could have fun and improve your English at the same time.

Thanks.
I'll follow your advice. : )

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:05 am 

From the posts I've seen from you, you have no reason to have zero confidence. You appear to know how to use English well, and that's no small feat :) .

I'm a native speaker, but still, I second what vvaltchev suggested. The best way to understand any new language is to immerse yourself in it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:05 pm 

Reading about me from JK Rowling books is a great idea. Voldemort is also known as Tom Riddle.

On a more serious note, I struggle with it myself. Deliberating and slowing down helps a lot. I have been taking courses on coursera.org. Apps like grammarly and Gutenberg editor help correct your sentences.

When it comes to speaking, English has stress in some places. Paying attention to intonation makes you sound much better.