OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: What editor do you use?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:17 pm 

I have been poking around at osdev only recently, and use a combo of Visual Studio and Visual Studio code. If in command line then I use vi.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:59 am 

I'm still using and extending this...
eekee wrote:
A tiny Forth block editor which, in my use cases, compares favourably to vi. In regular use, I use about 1/3 of the number of different commands I use in vi for perhaps 2/3 of the things I do in vi. It has some bugs and missing features, most especially regexps.

...and now I'm rewriting it to make the command names saner, for licensing reasons, and also just for practice. I increasingly find myself using an interactive editor I built on top of it. Curiously, I haven't missed regexps for a long time. I sometimes write text transformations in Forth.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:00 pm 

Kazinsal wrote:
Visual Studio Code is my primary editor on any desktop platform. vim on servers if I need to do configuration changes. I tend to have about a half dozen Notepad windows open for jotting things down in, though.

+1 for Visual Studio Code. With the remote SSH extension, I can do all my development and security auditing (for work) inside virtual machines. Any linting and analysis extensions you install on top of that also run their code within the VM.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:44 pm 

vim is way too heavy for a server, at least I've had problems with it. nvi is better, and it's one of the first things I add to debian.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:56 am 

rnd0 wrote:
vim is way too heavy for a server, at least I've had problems with it. nvi is better, and it's one of the first things I add to debian.

I've occasionally heard that vim is bloated and I can see why, but this really surprises me! I think of it as a lightweight because it usually starts instantaneously, plus some part of me is still living in the era when "server" meant "powerful". (I've grown to prefer retro tech.) Between all that and having just woken up, your statement blew my mind! :mrgreen: But I know why it could be the case. I've had VPSs which were smaller and slower than anything at home.

Continued use of my Forth block editor has led me to hate all forms of vi. It's almost always less trouble to set the selection with a few primitive commands than choose the right vi commands to first position the cursor and then make another choice to tell vi what to change or delete. It doesn't help that some movement commands behave differently under change, delete, and simple movement. It's lack of working with the selection makes it far more complicated than it needs to be.

I really want to edit files with something like my block editor; straightforward and simple. I wrote edda a few years ago but didn't know how to make a good command set at the time. I got hung up on memory management too. The best and worst part of Forth is that you basically make up the language as you go along, but I'm finding I'm not that good.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:03 pm 

I always used an actual GUI-based text editor (loved EmEditor on Windows, best I ever found) when developing on Windows, but on the switch to pure *nix, I've used Notepadqq or nano. I once logged into a VPS that only had vim instead of nano...switched providers within an hour of them telling me they won't install nano and wouldn't permit me to install nano...despite allowing me root. Vim was like an arrow to my knee.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:25 pm 

OdinVex wrote:
Vim was like an arrow to my knee.

You do know that "taking an arrow to the knee" is an old nordic/scandinavian expression meaning "getting married", don't you? So, you don't like vim, but you're married to it? Sounds like 50% of the marriages out there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:33 pm 

BigBuda wrote:
You do know that "taking an arrow to the knee" is an old nordic/scandinavian expression meaning "getting married", don't you? So, you don't like vim, but you're married to it? Sounds like 50% of the marriages out there.

Well hot damn, I've got something else to be excited about when I immigrate to a Scandinavian country. Leaning toward Sweden. -exposed kneecaps-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:04 pm 

When I'm lazy (which is most of the time) is use vscode, when I feel like I want to risk pressing control c and accidentally deleting hours of work, I use nano.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:26 pm 

ZufaligeDaten wrote:
When I'm lazy (which is most of the time) is use vscode, when I feel like I want to risk pressing control c and accidentally deleting hours of work, I use nano.

Better to use nano doing it every few seconds with vim. Not a fan of Microshaft.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:41 pm 

For over a decade I would only use Sublime. But VS Code has now surpassed Sublime in many ways. So VS Code for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:37 am 

OdinVex wrote:
ZufaligeDaten wrote:
...when I feel like I want to risk pressing control c and accidentally deleting hours of work, I use nano.

Better to use nano doing it every few seconds with vim.

It is a good thing to remember that, as with most things, preferences can include rather strong feelings. When asked for your preferences, it is safe to name your preferences -- but when you start dissing other people's choices, there is the issue of "can I let this stand unwithspoken?", which can quickly degrade a query for preferences into a contest of "you are wrong" and "mine is better than yours".

That being said, neither Nano nor Vim are vulnerable to losing hours of work by pressing Ctrl-C unless you are using some really broken config, so you're both wrong. If you're working for hours without saving your work, that is your fault, not the editor's. (And Vim in particular is excellent at recovering from dropped lines or power outage, losing no more than a couple second's worth of edits at the worst.) 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:37 am 

Solar wrote:
OdinVex wrote:
ZufaligeDaten wrote:
...when I feel like I want to risk pressing control c and accidentally deleting hours of work, I use nano.

Better to use nano doing it every few seconds with vim.

It is a good thing to remember that, as with most things, preferences can include rather strong feelings. When asked for your preferences, it is safe to name your preferences -- but when you start dissing other people's choices, there is the issue of "can I let this stand unwithspoken?", which can quickly degrade a query for preferences into a contest of "you are wrong" and "mine is better than yours".

That being said, neither Nano nor Vim are vulnerable to losing hours of work by pressing Ctrl-C unless you are using some really broken config, so you're both wrong. If you're working for hours without saving your work, that is your fault, not the editor's. (And Vim in particular is excellent at recovering from dropped lines or power outage, losing no more than a couple second's worth of edits at the worst.) 8)

Ignoring the first half, unconstructive. Second half, of course it's my fault that I am unable to use Vim. I cannot for the life of me fathom its context and usage, I feel like I'm wrangling an octopus just to type a single character. Maybe you could take your own advice. Unsubscribing, was nice conversation while it lasted.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:59 am 

Personally I use NVim with just a few plugins (vim-plug, coc & vim-polyglot). I tried other editors such as VSCode but I find it easier to use a terminal-based editor with other tools. Especially with a tiled window manager such as BSPWM it is very pleasant to use IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:32 pm 

for terminal based development, my preference is with RHIDE.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next