OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hello everybody!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:00 pm 

Hi all, Jason here. I've been silently stalking the osdev community for a while now and thought I'd finally take the step and say hello! I'm a software engineering student and I picked up Osdeving recently as a hobby. I know it sounds like I'm going to be yet another noob throwing every little question at the you guys and expecting solutions to be handed to me, but that would upset me just as much as y'all. The best part about this is being able to do everything yourself from the ground up, and doing intense problem solving, and I wouldn't want to spoil all of that fun by posting things like "Waaa the IDT code I copied word for word from the wiki isn't working help!" haha

I'm not an expert at all however, and I would like to avoid making it sound like I know what I'm doing (I really don't) so I will take any advice given to me gratefully and read all of the relevant documentation and wiki articles before posing a question.

About my "OS": I'm not too far along. I only (re)started about a week ago, so I basically only have the bare minimum to have something to show off at parties. It's x86_64 based, and I'm rolling my own bootloader that gets me set up into long mode and passes control to a kernel I'm building in C and NASM assembly. I have libraries to write stuff to the VGA hardware in bytes or strings, I'm working on expanding my IDT to do more than print out the number of the interrupt, and that's really about it actually oops.

My mental picture of my OS is some weird lovechild between MSDOS and a Commodore64. I learned programming on a TI-84 Plus using TI-Basic and really like the feel of command line interfaces (I'm a bit of a "Lino Commando"). My thoughts were to implement first a filesystem and text editor, and an interpreter for Basic including a C64 style live interpreter to mess with outside of files. The current issue with this fantasy is I haven't the slightest clue where to begin on filesystems (other than the obvious: File_System) but I'm sure with enough reading I'll figure it out 8)

Anyway this has gotten very long winded but I just wanted to reiterate how excited I am to be able to participate in this amazing community of guys and gals doing something so ridiculously cool and exciting. Hope to see you all around!

Post subject: Re: Hello everybody!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:31 pm 

As an update, I made a repository for my OS at: https://github.com/thedude3253/BOSP
Right now it's very basic, but it's fun to mess around in the text editor at least :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:24 am 

Welcome to the community, man!
I wish you to never stop enjoying kernel development and to never given up when hitting insane bugs :-)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:56 pm 

thedude3253 wrote:
My mental picture of my OS is some weird lovechild between MSDOS and a Commodore64. I learned programming on a TI-84 Plus using TI-Basic and really like the feel of command line interfaces (I'm a bit of a "Lino Commando"). My thoughts were to implement first a filesystem and text editor, and an interpreter for Basic including a C64 style live interpreter to mess with outside of files. The current issue with this fantasy is I haven't the slightest clue where to begin on filesystems (other than the obvious: File_System) but I'm sure with enough reading I'll figure it out 8)

Hiya 'n welcome! :D I always like these sorts of projects. I grew up with Atari Basic in ROM & wasn't happy when I "upgraded" to a computer which was not so easily programmable. :lol: I use Forth these days, but a friend of mine would love a Basic-like language, and sometimes I miss it too. A compiler is a pretty big project though.

I can't help with the filesystem, I'm just using 1KiB blocks in the manner of old-school Forth. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:10 am 

eekee wrote:
I use Forth these days, but a friend of mine would love a Basic-like language, and sometimes I miss it too. A compiler is a pretty big project though.

Haha yeah it's pretty daunting, but it sounds very exciting. I'm a big fan of forth (even though I'm really bad at it) and one of my first thoughts for a native language for BaseDOS was forth before I decided on basic. This project is very exciting for me because every step is something I've never done before. Everytime I successfully add something and get it to feel the way I want, I have a huge sense of accomplishment that other projects just can't emulate