OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Windows 11 announced
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:39 pm 

iansjack wrote:
The answer is simple - you don't run Windows 11 on these machines. It's no different to the Apple world, where you can't run newer OSs on older machines. (And the same is true of Linux, BSD, you name it, although the time scale may be a little different.)

Agreed. If I'm not mistaken, Linux can be worse than Windows in this way. The trackpad on my Thinkpad R400 (2010?) stopped working under Linux while Win10 still ran fine. I didn't look into it too hard so it may not have been an update issue, but I remain suspicious.

nullplan wrote:
I have fond memories of trying to run foobar2000 on W2K, and it didn't work. Stated reason was that advapi32.dll was missing some function. So what is a poor student with enough knowledge to be dangerous to do? Exactly, download another version of advapi32.dll from the Internet. I believe I got a version from Windows XP. Warnings about system files being tampered with were ignored, and then the whole thing ended in a blue screen. Ultimately it lead to me installing Linux on that box, so it did work out in the end.

Installing multiple versions of DLLs is normal for WIndows. Under some circumstances, especially large out-of-distro apps, it's normal for Linux too. Overwriting the system DLLs, not so much. There's other places to install them. :)

Ethin wrote:
Microsoft never officially stated that there would be no windows 11. An employee might've gotten overeager and implied that, but it was never officially stated by MS or their PR team. This is one of those "somebody implied it so we ran with it" scenarios, which seems to happen way too often with MS.

As it happens a lot, it looks like a deliberate, insidious marketing ploy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:58 pm 

eekee wrote:
Installing multiple versions of DLLs is normal for WIndows.
Yeah, but not for system DLLs. advapi32.dll is in the system32 folder.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:30 am 

nullplan wrote:
Yeah, but not for system DLLs. advapi32.dll is in the system32 folder.

Ah. Well, I learned something today: You probably couldn't keep multiple versions of system DLLs in Win2k, but you can since Vista or perhaps XP. (File-searching C:\Windows turns up all kinds of weird and wonderful stuff.)