It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Post count
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:55 am 
Hey, DF. BRING BACK THE POST COUNT!

-Allyb-

Post subject: Re:Post count
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:00 am 
The Post Count's a fun thing. In combination with something that counts interesting posts and just crap, it can make people try to post interesting things, not just 'lol'-crap.

-Kon-Tiki-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:16 am 
Yeah that is a good way of saying it!

SMG240

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:06 am 
Quote:
not just 'lol'-crap

Hmm... joey? ;D

-Allyb-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 3:55 pm 
yah, i post lol all the time. lol. damn, i did it again!!! ;) i think we should have it back, but its df's decision. all you have to do is go into the users profile to see the posts, but why did he remove it in the first place?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 5:06 pm 
Because people just post for the sake of posting in order to raise their post count instead of saying something intelligent.

I mean.. how many threads can we have about "I'm almost the 6th best poster" or "I've got 5 stars now"

- Nick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 5:09 pm 
Yeah but it is still a motive to say something intelligent

Hey nick, i put your link on my Web Site, that is ok right?

SMG240

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 5:35 pm 
no worries.. the more the merrier

- Nick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 5:38 pm 
How conforting nick..
;)

SMG240

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:43 am 
Hey Nick, that's what I meant with that stupid-intelligent post counting. It's to make sure the post count's back and people'll post intelligent things. As far as I know, nobody wants to look stupid, so it's a good motivation to lessen the' :) :) :) :) :) 8) ', 'lol', etc posts.

-Kon-Tiki-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:14 pm 
oh my god. this whole thing is revolving around me huh. i post about my 5th star and 6th poster and lol. its all me.

i posted 5th star because i was excited. are you saying it is because of me the post count got removed?! i guess i shouldnt post anymore. ;)

ill cut down on the unnesisary posting, but still, its not all me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:19 pm 
one example, sorry smg, but its smg. he posts ok...... and some other stuff. so dont say its me. and you did mention it is me by saying 5th star, 6th poster, lol......

smg is my cyber friend. i dont mean to point the finger at him. almost everyone on this board posts unnesisary things. we should ALL cut down on it.

i have to admit though, me and smg have been posting just to rack up posts and get a high score. (lol) im sorry. i just wanted to be a high poster. from now on, ill only post things that should be posted.

in the general board, i will post some cool topics though, like skateboarding or something.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:18 pm 
I'd say leave it the way it is(no post count) as it tends to make spamming lower.

K.J.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:08 pm 
kj: that was the original reason why i suggested removing the post count to begin with.

- Nick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:45 pm 
I've really never understood the obsession with post counts.

I don't really see anything wrong with an "lol" post now and then...this is supposed to be a community, after all...but posting for the sake of raising the number by your name as if it means something seems pointless to me. I first got involved with AGI four years ago, but I'd be willing to bet there are people who've only been here a few months who have higher post counts than me, so it's not as if a low post count qualifies you as some sort of newbie or anything.

By the way, Joey, this is not something that's specific to you. On just about any message board I've ever seen that makes a user's post count publicly visible, there are always some people who celebrate their 100th post, their 150th post, their 175th post, ad nauseum. Personally, I'd rather have no post count. It's not really that there's anything wrong with getting excited about making your 1000th post or something. It's that having the post count visible increases the temptation too much for some people to just post for the sake of increasing the count.