OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re:Turbo Pascal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:51 pm 
PHP is much better than perl... infact learning perl after I already know php is going a step backward(in other words perl isn't as good as php). But I don't give a crap about what others say, I set out to learn perl and nobody is going to change my mind about it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:51 pm 
I don't know a lot of TP, but I have a big book on it. So I'll look things up for you, if need some help...

Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:06 pm 
The only problem I have had so far is I can't seem to get modules installed. I need the database module installed so I can use MySQL... but I don't know exactly how to install the DBI module.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 3:55 pm 
hey thanx jelle. that would be very helpful. but please, could someone answer this simple question. i dont care what it is, cause im still gonna try to learn turbo pascal.

is turbo pascal powerful? and, is it good for making games?

cause after i learn the language, that is all im gonna do.

make games.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 5:19 pm 
I can't get my DOS version of Turbo Pascal to run on my computer.

As for the power of TP: turbo pascal has some of the features that make C++ the powerful language that it is, like pointers and objects and things.

I don't use it much anymore, though, so I can't say just how powerful it is. I seem to remember that strings in TP were a bit less powerful because they don't use the same storage mechanism as C++ strings. C++ strings end when there's a character with a value of 0, giving them infinite possible length (in theory). I think TP strings store the length of the string in their first byte, giving them a max. length of 255 characters.

I started on Turbo Pascal, though, so I won't say it's a bad language to learn, especially if you're new to programming. I personally prefer C++, for a number of reasons, not the least of which being that the "begin" and "end" syntax of Pascal control structures is bulkier than C's simple "{" and "}" syntax.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:48 pm 
k thanx. if i can get it to run on windows, i will start to learn it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:53 pm 
ok. to everyone, i probably sound like an *******. i keep changing my mind about what language to use. i dont think im gonna do pascal. it runs in dos and i really dont like the interface. or atleast thats the version i saw. im gonna look for something i like. sorry for all this **** i post. im gonna stop it. thank you for your time and help though. i really should have looked at the program first.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:05 am 
There is a windows-version. I think I have it on my computer at home, but I'm not sure. If I have it, shall I send it to you?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:38 pm 
ummm, sure. [email protected]

im gonna do qbasic, but i may do some tp later on in life. that would be great if you could send it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:09 pm 
Joey, if you want to learn Pascal but stay in the Windows environment, just use Delphi. After all, it's what AGI Studio was written in. But honestly, you can write games with either Visual C++ or Delphi, I don't think it really matters which is more powerful. The languages are constantly being updated to match strengths. So what you can do in one, you can do in the other. It's your preference that will make the difference.

Here's a little tip though, I'm a programmer, that's what I do for a living. Since I write in Pascal using Delphi, I've come to realize it's MUCH harder to find work than if I were a C/C++ programmer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:07 pm 
yah isnt c++ the most used language? i may look into delphi but i dont really get what it is. it isnt a language right?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:37 pm 
Well to be specific:
Delphi is a Rapid Application Development (RAD) that allows programmers to create Windows programs very quickly and easily. It was created by Borland in 1993 and is a descendant of Turbo Pascal.

Pascal is still the underlying language, Delphi is the environment, kinda like AGI is the language used within AGI Studio. See?

http://www.borland.com/delphi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:45 pm 
oh ok. so your programming pascal? i may look into delphi. it sounds kinda cool.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:43 pm 
You can actually download a trial version of Delphi. It's fully functional, you just can't distribute the programs that you create with it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 9:24 am 
What is the like for that?

SMG240