OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The Dark Convergence help
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:03 am 
Has anyone played the game The Dark convergence? it is fun. It is like the Hugo series, not the same plots though. Anyway, on the dark convergence 1, i am stuck in the bedroom. Everytime I try to do something, the monsters kill me. If someone has played this game and surpassed this part, tell me how to beat this part.

Also, If anyone knows of any other games like Hugo 1-3 or The dark convergence 1 and 2, let me know, I want to play it. (What i mean is if anyone knows of any other graphical text adventures)

Post subject: Re:The Dark Convergence help
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 2:50 am 
I'm not sure if it's a graphic/text game, but I remember a game from many years ago called search for the king. You had to find elvis presley. Actually now that I think about it, it might have used a similar system to scumm.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 5:25 am 
You probably know it already, but there's a game called 'Maddog Williams'. It's made by Gamecrafters, available at the underdogs ?nd it's a lot of fun :D.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 6:07 am 
Yah, Ive played Maddog Williams before. I have it the demo or something. I got it from www.dosgames.com I will look at that search for the king or whatever it is. But I really love the graphic/text games like AGI games, Hugo, Maddog, etc.

If anyone knows about The Dark Convergence, let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 6:27 am 
You know what, Joey? I'll go find the game, play it and try to get past the monster in the bedroom. If that is done, I'll let you know how to do it, although I can't promise I will succeed ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:11 am 
At the first step, a problem has already risen. That game is terribly hard to find.::)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:38 am 
It is hard to find. I think there is only one web site that allows you to download it. Here is the site:

http://members.aol.com/ariesmidloth/games.htm

you can download the first and second one. I am stuck on the first. You dont have to do this though, cause I sent a letter to the author asking him for help. Normally I wouldnt do this but he says in the game you can, and I had to ask him a few questions, and I have been stuck on this part for so long.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 11:51 am 
Lali ho, Joey!

Although you said you wrote to the author, I tried to find a way through the bedroom.
Guess what: I FOUND IT! First, you have to close the door.
<close door>
then, you have to barricade it.
<push dresser in front of door>

Now you have some more time, so you can find your way out. (The next steps were found using QBasic, it really was too difficult otherwise)

Seen the sheet?
<tie sheet to bed>
Now you just have to climb it down, so:
<climb down sheet>

The reason I placed the exact commands is that, if you forget to type one thing, or you said something which is correct but he doesn't understand, you'll be dead meat.

I hope this was still useful, and, if you ever get stuck in the game again, you can always look up the solution in the darkc.bas file (with QBasic).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:57 pm 
Thank you sooooooo much. So are you saying he made the game with Qbasic?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 5:27 am 
Strange, isn't it? It doesn't look like that, but it really is made in Qbasic. The .bas files are the proof. Only thing is: It doesn't have any subs, so searching something in it can be a little tedious at times.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 7:28 am 
I downloaded QBasic last night. I am starting to get into that. I am going to try to make a game with it later on. I am reading a tutorial. Is QBasic powerful? Could I make a first person shooter, or 3d shooter, what ever you want to call it with QBasic? Would that be hard?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 7:37 am 
I am very new to QBasic. If I made a game, how would I be able to play it? Go into run in qbasic? but then my friends who dont have it wouldnt be able to play it? help!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 7:41 am 
Qbasic stands for Quick Basic. I don't know if you know of Basic, but the name speaks for itself. It's a basic programming language. The normal level of games which can be made with it, are text adventures, Nibbles (aka Snake), Gorilla, etc. I think that, if you try really hard, learn as much from Qbasic as possible and don't give up after hundreds of failures, it could be possible to make a first person shooter in Qbasic, although it would be of poorer quality than Wolf3D, although, after seeing The Dark Convergence, I think it is possible to make something as Wolf3D (or more accurate: I3D:-\)

In other words: It'll be a challenge ;D to make a descent first-person shooter in QBasic.

BTW: If I find an engine with which you can make your own 3D-games, I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 7:46 am 
Only thing I know about making a QBasic-game run without entering Qbasic, is by making a batch-file with the command 'Qbasic /run <name of the game>.bas'. I think you'd still need Qbasic with it, though. Just put the Qbasic.exe file where the game is and distribute it that way (that's how I used to do it).

There should still be other ways, but I don't know any of them. Maybe Brain or Chris or so knows about them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 8:15 am 
Well, I thought the REAL (as in, retail version) QBasic could compile your programs into an EXE... But the version that came along with DOS, was a stripped down version and didn't offer that option...