OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: PHP Portals?
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 12:05 am 
Alright, I have been hearing about PHP portals this and PHP portals that, so what the heck are PHP portals?

Also what are some pros and cons to using them?

Post subject: Re:PHP Portals?
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 2:00 am 

portals? slashdot is a portal, www.osnews.com www.kerneltrap.com kuro5hin.org, etc.

these are all 'portal' sites.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 2:31 am 
Thanks, well now I know a few sites that use them, but that didn't answer my questions about what they are and the pros and cons of using them.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 2:36 am 
The idea is that they can be updated without coding any HTML or something I think.

K.J.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 2:47 am 
Well that is pretty cool, the main reason I am asking is because there is a project going on called YaPP(Yet another PHP Portal). Which is being built around YaBBSE. I have a beta release installed at http://www.agigames.com/YaPP/ but didn't really know what most of the php portal stuff was about.

Sorry df, you won't be able to download it for your board yet, it is one of the benefeits of me being on the YaBBSE mod team that I get to preview beta's of mods and other such things.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 3:00 am 

think of a portal site as a news site.
most portal siets are modular, so you can put 'blocks' in. ie: if you look at slashdot, you have news sections (microsoft, linux, your rights, etc), you have main news down teh middle, down the side you can have selectable news blocks from other sites.

some sites give you user blogs, etc.

phpnuke is the most often used portal site.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 3:08 am 
I beleive I heard something about YaBBSE and phpnuke integration as well. I guess I should check that out.

This YaPP php portal has "blocks" as well where I can add and remove blocks. One cool thing is that I can add blocks that only appear for certain member groups and even for registered members only. The only problem with the blocks in this, is that I can't reorder them, I would have to delete them all and make them in the order I want them to appear. But then again this is just a beta so there is probably alot of stuff that will be coming for future releases.