OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Let's try this again...Anyone like QBasic?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 12:30 pm 
Hey, txs for the book recomendation. The only one they had at my local library was "The joy of C" and it pretty much turned me off ::). I'll try ABC...but I've been to there site trying to download a few programs and found it hard to surf :'(. I think I'll just go to Simtel.net or somewhere like that, they've got a site that's got the reader and a few of the packets.

[This subject is getting HOT!]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 11:41 pm 
I really don't remember, but I don't think that qbasic has a masked input statement.  I would simply use the INPUT$ function, and loop.  Handle the input yourself.

A simpler alternative is to do a:
PRINT "ENTER THE PASSWORD:";
COLOR 0
INPUT PASS$

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 9:53 am 
My PW system uses *'s. Basically what I did was instead of asking the user for an string/input, I polled the keys pressed then had password$ add the keys pressed one by one. When you pressed the key it used the print command and printed one * for every key you pressed. And that is how I made the *'s for my PW system.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:44 am 
Um...AGISCI? Can you mail me an exaple? 'Cause I don't have a clue how to do it. :o
TXS ???

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 2:10 pm 
Ok sure I will send it to you. The PW system is still under development I am going to make it look better visually. Right now it has more functionallity than it does appearance. The *'s however are completed and work fine.

Also I would not recomend messing with the encryption system as it is very delicate. If you change even the slightest thing in it sometimes a malfunction occures and the password will be erased from its storage file. This problem will be fixed in the next version when I start using a backup password file just in case the password from the origianl gets messed up.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 2:54 pm 
Hey, txs. I don't think I'll mess with anything...except experiment with the ideas in my own programs......what name do you want in the REMs [that recognize you as the creator of the *'s part]? AGISCI, or something else?

TXS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 3:08 pm 
My name is in my signature "Chris Cromer"

I will send it after I do a touch up on the encryption to protect my code and to make it easier for you to understand how it works.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 3:11 pm 
TXS. My e-mail is in my profile. But, I'm likely to forget your signature, so pls sign it to the e-mail. TXS!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 3:13 pm 
Don't worry about that my signature is in all my e-mails plus lots of links to places like my web site and message board and projects.

I am going to go work on the encryption system then I will send it to you, cya.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 3:35 pm 
I have sent it. Have fun and remember if any damages occur from the use of my program I accept no responsiblity, it was designed for use with my system and has not been tested on any others, it is also still under construction which means some bugs might still exist in it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 8:09 am 
Quote:
if any damages occur from the use of my program I accept no responsiblity, it was designed for use with my system and has not been tested on any others, it is also still under construction which means some bugs might still exist in it.

Sure, I understand. I'll also send you a bug report if you want  ;D
I'm going to use it (read: test it) on a few diferent systems. Tell me if you want the bug report (test report) on any of them ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 11:23 am 
I will take any bug reports you can put together.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 12:59 pm 
:o Well, here's the VERY FIRST ONE:

I can't read the code to figure out what not to touch and what to copy [with rems, o course  ;)] into my program. I can't find any ['] statements, or any [rems] to guide me. Like I said, I JUST LEARNED QB, and I guess a few on-line tutorial's aren't everything ::)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 2:51 pm 
I hardly ever use rem's. You are the only other person besides me who has seen the code to it(although it is altered a bit to make it easier for you to understand and to protect my PW encryption.) so I had no reason to write rem's of what is what. I am sure if you study my code you will sooner or later understand what I did. Take a look through the sub for changing the password it would be the easiest to understand if you are only going to use the *'s because that sub lacks the menu and other little things I added. Don't worry about any of the encryption and decryption subs they have nothing to do with the *'s. Hope you can figure it out. If not tell me and I will try to write a few rem's for you to go by.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 6:25 am 
Hey, just in case anyone is interested:

In the near future I'm going to put my QB programs on my website. The URL for the QB programs section will be http://www.geocities.com/jsgwbasic/qbasic/pros.htm

REMEMBER: NEAR FUTURE.
The games will be available both in QB .bas format, and compiled as stand-alones. PLS e-mail me if you have any q's on the license upon which these are distributed. It's not freeware, but not shareware, it's very different with a lot of new things that should make using my programs a lot more enjoyable.