OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Windows is standard
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:06 am 

Solar wrote:
Commodore croaked because of inherent cash-flow problems, and trying to re-invent the C64
Exactly the same as I wrote. They took a huge pile of preorders to solve the cash-flow problem. That's a well-known tactic, nothing wrong with that per se. The actual problem was, they couldn't fulfill the orders in time.

Solar wrote:
it didn't even require any "direct intervention" by MS for them to go belly-up.
Exactly the same as I wrote. Let me quote myself: "but this time they [MS] just hammered the last nail on the coffin." and "They [Commodore] had it coming because of an sad-little-rich-**** CEO".

Cheers,
bzt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:18 am 

Quote:
Everyone knows Commodore bankrupted because MS purchased all the chips from the factories, so Commodore couldn't manufacture and ship in time.
That was just a lie.

You don't he;lp your case when you have to make things up. That's the second time in this thread that you have posted an obvious fabrication about Microsoft. It's almost as if you can't make your case without reverting to alternative facts.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:20 pm 

eekee wrote:
when everyone loathed their Windows PCs crashing all the time and were blown away by how stable Linux was?

But everyone's apps worked on Windows only. Also, I wouldn't call Linux super stable, especially when it comes to USB.
bzt wrote:
Everyone knows Commodore bankrupted because MS purchased all the chips from the factories, so Commodore couldn't manufacture and ship in time.

Solar wrote:
Commodore croaked because of inherent cash-flow problems, and trying to re-invent the C64,

bzt wrote:
Exactly the same as I wrote.

Umm, not quite the same. You have done this once before about the size of BIOSes. Don't manipulate this thread, please!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:22 am 

I'm starting to think Microsoft is like the Romans: If their opponents had any real-world sense, they wouldn't have won. To take one example of the level of idiocy involved, a king was in position with his cavalry for a surprise downhill charge. This would have been extremely effective, but this position hid the view of the Romans approach and the king was so stupid, he killed every messanger who told him the Romans were coming! There was a simulation show on British TV which put students in place of the Romans opponents, with experts behind the scenes making decisions for the Romans. More often than not, the students won. I only saw one of these, but it was very memorable.