OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Further Hobby(s)?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:16 am 

Hello all OS developers,
which hobby/hobbies do you have? (OK you have OS dev, but what else?)

I personally like
a) reading history books
b) casual computer games (I already mentioned that elsewhere).
c) listening to music in nearly any medium (Youtube, radio, sometimes CD)
d) having a walk.

Until recently I used to read novels (criminal/thriller or fantasy) and photographing but I stopped doing both.

And as I mention on my user page, I like tinkering with Linux distros. I would love to install and use Arch Linux, but if you ever tried then you know it's not easy.

OK, enough about me, now it's your turn.

Greetings
Peter

Post subject: Re: Further Hobby(s)?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:21 pm 

PeterX wrote:
Hello all OS developers,
which hobby/hobbies do you have? (OK you have OS dev, but what else?)

I personally like
a) reading history books
b) casual computer games (I already mentioned that elsewhere).
c) listening to music in nearly any medium (Youtube, radio, sometimes CD)
d) having a walk.

Until recently I used to read novels (criminal/thriller or fantasy) and photographing but I stopped doing both.

And as I mention on my user page, I like tinkering with Linux distros. I would love to install and use Arch Linux, but if you ever tried then you know it's not easy.

OK, enough about me, now it's your turn.

Greetings
Peter

In the old normal, I'm a keen rugby union player.

Alas, I don't think I'll be playing that any time soon. My wife is immune compromised, and so as susceptible to infection as an unpatched Windows XP user running as Administrator on an open public WLAN.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:30 pm 

thewrongchristian wrote:
In the old normal, I'm a keen rugby union player.

Alas, I don't think I'll be playing that any time soon. My wife is immune compromised, and so as susceptible to infection as an unpatched Windows XP user running as Administrator on an open public WLAN.

Sorry to hear that.

I've had Corona already. For me it was not as tough as people believe. Tougher than a cold, but ok. I'm from the risk group (at least in theory) because of Asthma and Diabetes, but in reality it was ok and I wouldn't call it life-threatening. (Of course it can be life-threatening for others, but I'm talking about my personal disease.)

Greetings
Peter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:56 pm 

Lots.

i will mention interacting with birds and other animals.

However there are lots more.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:21 pm 

iloveosdev wrote:
Lots.

i will mention interacting with birds and other animals.

However there are lots more.

not something illegal, hopefully? :lol:

in the past, I enjoyed conducting chemical experiments. now, I am a paranoid, being awfully afraid of lead poisoning. :mrgreen:

also, I loved fishing, not anymore - I cannot let myself kill fish. ah, and did I mention the unstoppable fear of lead poisoning?

I loved riding a bicycle. now I don't have it. somehow. I loved to take long walks, now I mostly sitting home when free. so yeah, I am "very" interesting person.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:50 pm 

zaval wrote:
not something illegal, hopefully? :lol:

Haha. No, not something illegal. Regarding the animals, I try to figure out how they communicate. I went to the duck pond here, and discovered some of how they communicate. If you look at the video "group of ducks quacking", on YouTube you can see that they make these quick movements with their heads, before they fly away. I think they often signal that they want to fly away, in this manner.

And lots of other hobbies to mention but I'd rather skip that, because it's ... lots. Playing some instruments for example, and crafting songs. But I cannot do that anymore.

Regarding information technology: embedded systems and hardware in general. However I cannot do these things right now except for doing it "in my head" and wishing i'd be actually toying with those things. Especially usb.

i cannot really do these things now because of self-imposed restriction of movement. Covid-19 times.

zaval wrote:
now, I am a paranoid, being awfully afraid of lead poisoning.

Ah, same here, kind of, but regarding computers. sometimes i wish i haven't started with computers and hardware and all that. Some things just makes me paranoid. It's ok though. Nothing serious. Hehe.

best regards

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:03 pm 

I recently started playing the piano, kinda loving it even though it's painfully difficult to learn, kinda wish I started before 20 :)
Also occasionally play video games in the evening after I'm done with work and my osdev for the day.

That's pretty much it. Pretty boring now that I think about it :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:21 pm 

using linux, give me any linux distro and i'll be occupied for hours, it's just fun.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:09 pm 

I got back into Lego a few years ago. I am now building a train set: https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/pub ... ser=913239

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:50 am 

zaval wrote:
in the past, I enjoyed conducting chemical experiments. now, I am a paranoid, being awfully afraid of lead poisoning. :mrgreen:

also, I loved fishing, not anymore - I cannot let myself kill fish. ah, and did I mention the unstoppable fear of lead poisoning?

I loved riding a bicycle. now I don't have it. somehow. I loved to take long walks, now I mostly sitting home when free. so yeah, I am "very" interesting person.

This all sounds exactly like my life, including the mysterious lack of a bicycle! :D But I have a different set of fears. I used to be fine sending unencrypted data over my LAN, but in 2018, when my health prevented me sitting at my desk and I had to use a tablet, I looked at the big red "unencrypted connection" warning on my VNC client, thought up issues with ssh tunneling, (it doesn't secure the endpoints,) didn't want a commercial remote desktop product for rather irrational reasons, and ultimately switched to stuff which ran on my tablet instead. This is when I stopped using Plain English Programming because the compiler only runs on Windows. I started using Forth, but although there are aspects of Forth I like very much, I'm still not very good with it after 4 years of practice struggle. I was better with Plain English after only a few months; learning it is so much easier.

But, zaval, I hope your life isn't too harsh and you can soon visit the forum again.

iloveosdev wrote:
zaval wrote:
Regarding the animals, I try to figure out how they communicate. I went to the duck pond here, and discovered some of how they communicate. If you look at the video "group of ducks quacking", on YouTube you can see that they make these quick movements with their heads, before they fly away. I think they often signal that they want to fly away, in this manner.

I used to do this when I was a kid. :) I can't now; something about activity and being outdoors affects my brain function so that I can hardly observe anything. I did recently see a female duck complaining to her mate about another pair of ducks which had driven her off their territory while he was away. (It was a prime spot for people feeding ducks.) Somehow, I didn't see how, he knew exactly which pair of ducks to go for!

But lately, I've been spending my time on Kerbal Space Program. I've stranded one of my kerbals on a habitable but deserted moon, and it's taken me quite some time to learn how to build a good spaceplane to rescue him. Learning to add enough fuel was part of the problem, but getting a spaceplane to fly well is very difficult when the game arbitrarily assigns much more aerodynamic drag to some parts than others, and the most streamlined-looking parts are some of the worst. I want it to fly well because I'll be landing it on a rather unfamiliar moon. I think I've got a reasonably good plane now, but it uses an aerodynamic cheat because I'm just that fed up with it.

I like the game's sense of fun, all-round space-atmosphere-ground simulation, and the relative ease of building unique vehicles, but the bugs really get to me sometimes. I bought Simple Rockets 2 the other day, but haven't tried it yet. But neither of these games are really meant for building both vehicles and colonies. KSP is far too inefficient even besides its feature of simulating physics on every part of every object (whether vehicle or building) you create.