OSDev.org
https://forum.osdev.org/

Quiz chain
https://forum.osdev.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36639
Page 2 of 3

Author:  PeterX [ Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Quiz chain

OK another try:

I'm named after the devil.
I'm not computer related.
What's my official name?

Author:  Schol-R-LEA [ Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Quiz chain

PeterX wrote:
OK another try:

I'm named after the devil.
I'm not computer related.
What's my official name?


Would you be thinking of a vertical microscale convective system ('dust devil') by any chance?

Edit: I forgot to give a new question, so if I was right I'll ask, to whom does this mildly famous passage refer?

The hairy third to enslave the State
Shall be son, no son, of his hairy last.
He shall be mud well mixed with blood,
A hairy man that is scant of hair.
He shall give
[the nation] victories and defeat
And die to the gain of his son, no son -
A pillow shall be his sword.

Author:  PeterX [ Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:11 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Quiz chain

Schol-R-LEA wrote:
PeterX wrote:
OK another try:

I'm named after the devil.
I'm not computer related.
What's my official name?


Would you be thinking of a vertical microscale convective system ('dust devil') by any chance?

No, it's not the "Dust Devil" or "Dirt Devil".

You riddle is cool.

Greetings
Peter

Author:  PeterX [ Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Quiz chain

This quiz chain got stuck.

To narrow down the solution you can ask questions which can be answered Yes or No.

I give a hint on my riddle:

I'm named after the devil.
I'm not computer related.
What's my official name?
Hint: It's in the USA. Now it's easy, right?

Author:  kzinti [ Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Quiz chain

Trump?

Author:  PeterX [ Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Quiz chain

kzinti wrote:
Trump?

No.

Next try, please!

Author:  Schol-R-LEA [ Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Quiz chain

The Duke University Blue Devils? Probably not, given the 'official name' part, but I figured I'd mention them.

Without the 'in the US' part, I might have suggested that team's namesake, the Chasseurs Alpins (Alpine Hunters) units of the French Army, nicknamed Les Diables Bleus.

Perhaps I should have just asked if it is a sports team (or a military unit).

If so, my earlier question stands.

Author:  Schol-R-LEA [ Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Quiz chain

Oh, never mind the last one, I think I've got it: The United States Marine Corps, aka the Devil Dogs (also called Jarheads and Leathernecks). Thank the late R. Lee Ermey (the actor who played Drill Sgt. Hartman in Full Metal Jacket and an actual former Marines DI) for that one, I guess, since he used the term several times in his films (and his Fire Power documentary TV series).

Author:  PeterX [ Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Quiz chain

That's a really good answer, but wrong. And a "good" movie. Or should I better say "scary"/"disturbing" movie...

My riddle is something big, geographical in the southern USA. It's named after a "nickname" or slang name of the devil.

Author:  Schol-R-LEA [ Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Quiz chain

PeterX wrote:
That's a really good answer, but wrong. And a "good" movie. Or should I better say "scary"/"disturbing" movie...

My riddle is something big, geographical in the southern USA. It's named after a "nickname" or slang name of the devil.


From the 'geographical' part, I would have said Devil's Tower (in Wyoming, and made famous by Close Encounters), but that doesn't fit the other two parts (southern US, and a nickname rather than the word 'devil').

Nicknames... I don't know of any geographical locations called anything like Old Scratch or Old Nick. Is there anything named Morningstar? I can't think of any.

Author:  PeterX [ Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Quiz chain

Ok ,here it goes: "Old man" or "Dirty old man" is afaik a slang name for the devil. I didn't find it in the web so maybe I am wrong on that, but I once saw that on TV.

Now it should be easy.

Greetings
Peter

Author:  Schol-R-LEA [ Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Quiz chain

PeterX wrote:
Ok ,here it goes: "Old man" or "Dirty old man" is afaik a slang name for the devil. I didn't find it in the web so maybe I am wrong on that, but I once saw that on TV.

Now it should be easy.

Greetings
Peter


If you mean Old Man River (the Mississippi River), that's got nothing to to with the Devil - at least, the name 'Ol' Man River' doesn't AFAIK. That comes from a song from an early musical (Show Boat, from 1927, according to Wikipedia).

Author:  PeterX [ Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Quiz chain

Schol-R-LEA wrote:
PeterX wrote:
Ok ,here it goes: "Old man" or "Dirty old man" is afaik a slang name for the devil. I didn't find it in the web so maybe I am wrong on that, but I once saw that on TV.

Now it should be easy.

Greetings
Peter


If you mean Old Man River (the Mississippi River), that's got nothing to to with the Devil - at least, the name 'Old Man River' doesn't AFAIK. That comes from an old song.


Yeah Mississippi is what I mean. How old is that song?

Author:  Schol-R-LEA [ Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Quiz chain

Sorry, I was editing the previous message to correct myself on just that topic. It's from a 1927 musical called Show Boat.

Author:  PeterX [ Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Quiz chain

OK now to your riddle.

Is it the Francs empire (I don't mean today's France)

Page 2 of 3 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/