OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: "A Stop Motion Examination of Endless Loading Screens"
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:36 am 

Quote:
[Director Rafael] Vangelis considers the short film an animated autobiography, as he spends a great chunk of his own life watching projects slowly load and computers crash. “The result,” says Vangelis, “is an homage to all the lost time we collectively spend in digital limbo in the hopes of sudden development on our screen.”

Perhaps more of a problem for artists than kernel developers, (Photoshop is notorious for freezing and crashing,) but I can relate. ;)

A Stop Motion Examination of Endless Loading Screens

Anyone have a favourite bit? I'm not an Apple-hater, but mine might be the very last one, in the credits: the beach ball flies apart! Or, anyone got any stories about epic-length C++ compiles with uncertain outcomes?

Huh... just remembered an actual loading indicator in a browser ages ago. It was a color animation of lightning striking the browser's monogram with a starry background. Might even have been Netscape 4, might have been very early Mozilla. Arachne has lightning and stars appear within the lines of its weird giant X⊣ button.

Post subject: Re: "A Stop Motion Examination of Endless Loading Screens"
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:23 am 

Don't know what I did but now my kernel build crashes the Rust compiler (exits with an access violation exception). If that's not an "endless building screen" I don't know what is. :) Worse, it does it after an hour or two.

Post subject: Re: "A Stop Motion Examination of Endless Loading Screens"
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:04 am 

Ethin wrote:
Don't know what I did but now my kernel build crashes the Rust compiler (exits with an access violation exception). If that's not an "endless building screen" I don't know what is. :) Worse, it does it after an hour or two.

Ouch! :D I have had a longer compilation fail, but not in anything I really cared about.