OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: anyone checked out netflix halt and catch fire?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:38 am 

That show talks about so much about hexidecimals, disa**-ly and BIOS so many times, I literally wanted to run to street and thump my chest and grab strangers and ask 'do you have any idea what the BIOS is about that is mentioned in the show?" :D

key takeaway after spending yrs on sw industry: big issue small because everyone jumps on it and fixes it. small issue is big since everyone ignores and it causes catastrophy later. #devilisinthedetails

Post subject: Re: anyone checked out netflix halt and catch fire?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:30 pm 

ggodw000 wrote:
That show talks about so much about hexidecimals, disa**-ly and BIOS so many times, I literally wanted to run to street and thump my chest and grab strangers and ask 'do you have any idea what the BIOS is about that is mentioned in the show?" :D

It is all your fault. Can't stop watching it, already burned through 5 episodes. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:03 pm 

and there are lot of sex scenes. I did not know BIOS guys were so sexist.
In one of the sex scenery, they mentioned BIOS during the cuddling. Inbelievable!

key takeaway after spending yrs on sw industry: big issue small because everyone jumps on it and fixes it. small issue is big since everyone ignores and it causes catastrophy later. #devilisinthedetails

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:48 am 

I want to be surprised at all of that but considering The Big Bang Theory has made people think all nerds are unfeeling robotic mathematically-thinking sad sacks of nervousness and idiot savant syndrome, I can't help but think, "eh, could be a worse depiction".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:08 am 

ggodw000 wrote:

I fail to see the reason why on their whiteboards there's code for a non-x86 architecture, nonsensical x86 code and 80286 FLAGS (even though they're working on a 8088/8086 BIOS). There's certainly more garbage than that. Is it all on purpose to turn away those who actually have some clue about the technology and the industry and target only the clueless masses?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:02 pm 

alexfru wrote:
ggodw000 wrote:

I fail to see the reason why on their whiteboards there's code for a non-x86 architecture, nonsensical x86 code and 80286 FLAGS (even though they're working on a 8088/8086 BIOS). There's certainly more garbage than that. Is it all on purpose to turn away those who actually have some clue about the technology and the industry and target only the clueless masses?

It is like in the same league as on almost every hollywood action movie, hordes of police cars shows up, sirens blazing after the main hero completed all the challenging opponents, i am sure real officers will laugh at that the same way you do. After all, they are supposed to be movies!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:42 pm 

The very beginning was very cruel: hitting the armadillo at a full speed...full of blood, whatever metaphor it was trying to say if it is, was by no way impressive feat!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:59 pm 

I am like 5 episodes away from finishing the last season and here are some thoughts.

ggodw000 wrote:
In one of the sex scenery, they mentioned BIOS during the cuddling. Inbelievable!

They're just humans after all, right?

Kazinsal wrote:
I want to be surprised at all of that but considering The Big Bang Theory has made people think all nerds are unfeeling robotic mathematically-thinking sad sacks of nervousness and idiot savant syndrome, I can't help but think, "eh, could be a worse depiction".

I think you are over-exaggerating. It is not like that at all. Only one character is proven to be as you described, there is definitely no general template being applied on the rest of the company.
How would you describe a "nerd" while being as objective as possible?

alexfru wrote:

What do you want to say with this? It just doesn't matter, it is just a show. It just doesn't matter if the code is real or not, it is the script that matters. It is about the way people interact and develop their ideas, rise and fall. Do you really think that the person who wrote the script knew what 80286 FLAGS are? It is always about clueless masses, they don't have a clue, they don't care, you can just sell them whatever. I have to admit that there was that one moment when I noticed a huge C++ bullshit code, but it didn't care, the show itself kept me interested.

ggodw000 wrote:
It is like in the same league as on almost every hollywood action movie, hordes of police cars shows up, sirens blazing after the main hero completed all the challenging opponents, i am sure real officers will laugh at that the same way you do. After all, they are supposed to be movies!!!

It is all about that. It is only just a movie.

All in all, I think this is a great show/series. It really gets you thinking and keeps you watching it for hours (of course if this is the kind of stuff you like). It is also very inspirational. The only thing I didn't like was the way things were developing. Things were just ending way too fast. Years were sped up a lot. From 1983 to 1995, just an example. I wish they made more seasons. When I first started watching this I wasn't expecting to see like 5 different companies getting created and destroyed. I think it is definitely worth watching. Just what I think.

Last edited by Octacone on Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:24 pm 

Octacone wrote:
I am like 5 episodes away from finishing the last season and here are some thoughts.

ggodw000 wrote:

They're just humans after all, right?

Kazinsal wrote:

I think you are over-exaggerating. It is not like that at all. Only one character is proven to be as you described, there is definitely no general template being applied on the rest of the company.
How would you describe a "nerd" while being as objective as possible?

ggodw000 wrote:

What do you want to say with this? It just doesn't matter, it is just a show. It just doesn't matter if the code is real or not, it is the script that matters. It is about the way people interact and develop their ideas, rise and fall. Do you really think that the person who wrote the script knew what 80286 FLAGS are? It is always about clueless masses, they don't have a clue, they don't care, you can just sell them whatever. I have to admit that there was that one moment when I noticed a huge C++ bullshit code, but it didn't care, the show itself kept me interested.

ggodw000 wrote:

It is all about that. It is only just a movie.

All in all, I think this is a great show/series. It really gets you thinking and keeps you watching it for hours (of course if this is the kind of stuff you like). It is also very inspirational. The only thing I didn't like was the way things were developing. Things were just ending way too fast. Years were sped up a lot. From 1983 to 1995, just an example. I wish they made more seasons. When I first started watching this I wasn't expecting to see like 5 different companies getting created and destroyed. I think it is definitely worth watching. Just what I think.

It looked interesting but the beginning scene was big turn-off:
"The very beginning was very cruel: hitting the armadillo at a full speed...full of blood, whatever metaphor it was trying to say if it is, was by no way impressive feat!"
Whoever this guy as depicted as an arsehole.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:25 pm 

ggodw000 wrote:

This looks like I wrote, I did not write this one... :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:11 pm 

ggodw000 wrote:
ggodw000 wrote:

This looks like I wrote, I did not write this one... :D

Ooops!
Fixed, you can easily get lost in this jungle of replies.
Yeah the beginning scene was a bit awkward, but later you get to meet each character individually.
Btw I think Joe is the best, but do you think otherwise?