OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: What is your favorite keyboard?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:38 am 

The title explains it all.
It can be physical or software, separate or built in to the device.

For example, I like Hacker's Keyboard on Android.
For PCs, I like Razor keyboards (but i have yet to own one).
On Mac I like Apple's own keyboard.

Post subject: Re: What is your favorite keyboard?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:55 am 

Any keyboard that isn't flat like a modern laptop keyboard. I need to have a good amount of travel with my key to type adequately.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:55 am 

I use Kika Keyboard on Android.
On my laptop, I like the built-in keyboard because it's soft and doesn't make that much noise. For other PCs, I also like keyboards that resemble that of my laptop.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:59 am 

At desktops I am using a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000. I like the slightly rounded "ergonomic" layout and the integrated wrist rests and programmable action keys (the five numbered ones, at work, open X terminals with SSH sessions to the five most-often needed servers).

The only problem is getting that keyboard in the US layout, which I much prefer for the easier accessability of the []\{}| characters -- Microsoft simply doesn't sell the US layout out of the US itself, so I have to rely on friends visiting the states to get me new ones when the old ones start to wear out. (I use the "US Alternate International" key mapping, which makes the German characters äüöß easily available as well.)

When working with laptops, I like Logitech's K400, for its integrated touchpad, so I can type / move the mouse with the keyboard on my knees while reclining comfortably, with the laptop on the table in front of me (instead of balancing the laptop itself on my knees). Unfortunately, my mate bought the "Plus" version of the US layout when he was overseas recently, which does a piss-poor job with the arrow keys -- make sure you get the "regular" K400...

On the mobile, I never bothered with anything other than what's built in. If I need to type more than a line or two, I go to the web inferface of whatever service I am using, and type away on the "big" keyboard.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:57 am 

Prefer good old qwerty with physical cable not wireless, numerical pass on the right. I hate wireless as I have hard time keeping track of charged / uncharged battery.

key takeaway after spending yrs on sw industry: big issue small because everyone jumps on it and fixes it. small issue is big since everyone ignores and it causes catastrophy later. #devilisinthedetails

Last edited by ggodw000 on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:08 am 

I like to have a lot of travel, and large mechanical keyboards that make allota noise. If the keys are to be flat like on a laptop, I don't really like spacing between keys. I hate Apple in general including their keyboards and for Android i feel the default is perfect for my needs. I never need a numpad and it's more annoying than useful for me tbh as i frequently press the insert (0) key by mistake. I feel most comfortable with qwerty, although I can also type fast-ish on azerty and dvorak layouts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:16 am 

Both at home and at work I have mechanical keyboards. I prefer full size (including numpad) QWERTY layout boards. My preferred switches are Cherry MX Brown.

If I traveled more I'd probably pick up one of those mini mechanical keyboards where there isn't even a full arrow keys + movement group, but I rarely travel for work, and when I do, I bring my Thinkpad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:15 pm 

Logitech G710+ great for gaming, great for typing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:41 pm 

Hi,

MajickTek wrote:
The title explains it all.
It can be physical or software, separate or built in to the device.

I like cheap (but not too cheap) physical full sized keyboards (and similar for mouse) - the kind you can get at any computer shop without caring about the cost or hassle of replacing it again later (whenever you spill too much coffee on it, or when it's full of dust and crumbs and you couldn't be bothered cleaning it after ~12 months of use).

Mostly, as far as I'm concerned a keyboard is supposed to be disposable.

Cheers,

Brendan

For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:03 am 

It is fine as long as there is some RGB with bazillion of light effects. I would definitely want to get a mechanical one.
Full size always preferred.
As for the mouse it has to be well... it has to have some light on it, DPI settings (for Window and Linux) and it has to have a working middle mouse button.
I prefer bigger mouses.
Exactly the opposite of Brenden, mine is cleaner than the hospital floor.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:35 am 

I've never found anything to match the IBM model M.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:28 am 

iansjack wrote:
I've never found anything to match the IBM model M.

Are you aware of DasKeyboard? They carry a whole range of different high-quality keyboards, and they explicitly mentioned the IBM model M as their "the one we want to emulate" design goal as far as the typing ergonomics are concerned. Personally I like their "Ultimate" series with unmarked keys. ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:27 pm 

I agree with Brendan - full size, mechanical, cheap. Right now I use a Logitech K120 with Estonian layout (since I often use äöüõ for writing Estonian), and edited the xkb layout to give me a ß key for writing German.

But my favorite would be an Optimus Maximus...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:15 pm 

I'd say the space-cadet keyboard, just to yank people's chains, but sadly I never actually got to try one.

As for ones I actually have tried, meh, I never really found any I really liked, TBH. I sort of liked the solidity and feel of the IBM Model M, though it was rather too stiff even to me. I wouldn't mind getting one of the Unicomp models like this one based on it, but they are quite expensive ($90+ US).

I have tried, and liked, the so-called "Classic Dvorak (English, US)" layout, but having to frequently switch between that and the US QWERTY makes it a hassle to use regularly. However, that hasn't come up as much lately, so I may try it (or "Programmer Dvorak") again sometime soon.