OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: What IDEs are you using?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:30 pm 

:lol: I can tolerate ed and sam -d, but they reduce the amount of attention I can give to my code. edlin is worse, I always accidentally overwrite stuff. Del, (or rather ∇,) the standard text editor in APL, is a little clearer than edlin but not much. Great name for an editor, though...

I use Acme, it's an integrating development environment. (I miss my alien smileys.) I don't use it to its fullest and it's not exactly free of annoyance and I am a bit tired of it, but when I use any other text editor I feel very restricted. Acme lets me bring the system into the text editor to a much larger extent and more conveniently than anything else I've tried. My major OS plans actually revolve around enabling integration in even better ways than Acme and it's original OS, Plan 9.

Acme's ability to open files with just a click on filenames in any text is also brilliant. I've used it to organize my life for years, essentially building personal wikis in plain text with no extra software beyond my normal editor.

Solar wrote:
I am not at all sure I still want that position at his company.

An interview isn't just the company interviewing you. It's also you interviewing the company.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:47 pm 

On a serious note though I use codeblocks or emacs but many times I find myself just firing up nano.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:32 am 

on arch: jetbrains as ide, sublime as text editor, micro as a minimal terminal-based text editor, st as terminal, fish as shell and qemu as emulator
on windows: visual studio and sublime

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:52 am 

The best IDE for ANYTHING is vscode (Visual Studio Code). I use it to develop my OS, to make websites, and to work with some Flutter apps.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:42 am 

mrosdev wrote:
The best IDE for ANYTHING is vscode (Visual Studio Code). I use it to develop my OS, to make websites, and to work with some Flutter apps.

I was pretty surprised by the fact that I totally agree with this. I use it for Unity game dev, JS and of course OS dev (including build scripts, hex editing and you can even run a WSL, CMD or PowerShell terminal in it.)

It's clean, simple to set up, fast to use, has the best lexical autocomplete I've used, great syntax highlighting for just about any language out there.

M$ does a lot wrong, and I'm sure there is some nefarious ulterior motive to VS Code, but from a functionality perspective, they hit it outta the park with this one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:46 am 

I'd vote for VSCode too. It's fast, supports most languages, and there are a host of extensions. You can easily use it one one machine to edit, build, and debug on another (with the same or different OS). And it runs on all the major OSs.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:00 am 

I am having a garden renovation and having a hard time lifting those rocks from my garden. Good thing I have bought a great and sturdy wheelbarrow https://gardeningfacts.org/best-wheelbarrow/.