OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: perils of being system engineer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:20 pm 

like being a system engineer working with O/S-s, file systems and BIOS-s but when you think about starting some business using your expertise, there just seems to be no opportunity seen. Sometimes being app designer or web designer has lot more opportunity/more audience and more chance of delivering your work too people but also lot more competition too. just my 0.02$.

key takeaway after spending yrs on sw industry: big issue small because everyone jumps on it and fixes it. small issue is big since everyone ignores and it causes catastrophy later. #devilisinthedetails

Post subject: Re: perils of being system engineer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:13 pm 

no reacion? no comment?

key takeaway after spending yrs on sw industry: big issue small because everyone jumps on it and fixes it. small issue is big since everyone ignores and it causes catastrophy later. #devilisinthedetails

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:20 am 

You may not need to implement an OS or FS from scratch. Many just use existing stuff (e.g. Linux, ext#). Further, a good idea may not necessarily lie in the area of your expertise. It may be only partially related to what you do. It may be completely unrelated just as well. You may be consciously or unconsciously containing yourself in a box called "system engineer". There's nothing wrong with being a system engineer and some of your knowledge, skills and experience are transferable into other areas, albeit not always directly. If you're unhappy with being ~, it's probably time to explore.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:25 pm 

I think I understand what you are talking about, if you are exceptional then you will always have ideas and oppourtunities. Take Mark Russinovich for instance :D . But if you are a typical senior system software guy like me, you are limited to co orporations/companies. Another idea would be to act as an idependent consultant if you have good contacts.

As for me, I love what I am doing and do not want to start anything my own at this point. My hope is that as long as there is system software, there will be crash dumps for me to poke into :mrgreen: .

--Thomas