OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: OSdev Meeting - Planning
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:21 am 

In response to this thread I thought it might be a good idea to create a separate one for organizing a meeting in other area's. It would make it easier on MessiahAndrw to organize something for his area.

The goal of this thread is to help people find each other to organize a local meeting. If however you live in the New York area (or the north eastern part of the USA in general) please go to the thread mentioned above.

Phase #1 - Till 31 march 2016
Please reply below if you are interested in meeting up. Make sure to mention your location as closely as your willing to share it and how far you'd be willing to travel. Feel free to give your idea about what the meeting should be.

Phase #2
Lets first wait till 31 march 2016 and see how many people actually want this...

I'll go first:
I would be interested. I live in the dutch province Drenthe which is right at the German border (Niedersachsen). Limited to public transportation but willing to travel to any neighboring country. It depends on where it is. Also willing to organize a meeting if it's for just a few people.

Failed project: GoOS - https://github.com/nutterts/GoOS

Post subject: Re: OSdev Meeting - Planning
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:39 am 

I live in Leiden, the Netherlands although i can also easily stay near Enschede ( which is close to the german border), as for an idea on what the meeting should be: I'm not that creative and will leave that to other people

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:01 am 

I know that there's another member here who is somewhat nearby to where I live and I would be interested in meeting up, but I'm not sure that it would be possible for me unfortunately. In any case, I think the ideal meeting would be to exchange demonstrations of operating systems to other OSdevers and to discuss the designs of the operating systems, including perhaps review/exchange of source code - of course this would require adequate computing facilities (at the bare minimum, somewhere to plug laptops in).

Syntax checkup:
Wrong: OS's, IRQ's, zero'ing
Right: OSes, IRQs, zeroing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:12 am 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
I've got key access to a hosting location in Utrecht. There are also direct train routes to Germany from there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:05 pm 

Combuster wrote:
Utrecht
Imho, when it comes to public transportation there isn't an easier or more central location in the Netherlands and quite a few affordable places to spend the night. So I'm all for it.
onlyonemac wrote:
I think the ideal meeting would be to exchange demonstrations of operating systems to other OSdevers and to discuss the designs of the operating systems
I'd love that! And after it we can all point and laugh at me when looking at my code. ;) jk.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:19 pm 

Niedersachsen? I live just round the corner :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:36 pm 

I live in Amsterdam. Wouldn't mind to meet somewhere within Nederlands. Koln and Brussels are also ok.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:36 pm 

I live in Verl, Germany (that's Ostwestfalen). While I haven't dabbled in OSDev and been out of touch for quite a while, I could just picture myself showing up, sharing a cold one and share some stories from the good old times, when the OSDev FAQ was still a couple of static HTML pages.

Just for the shock value and for giving you young people someone to point your fingers at. ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:33 am 

I am interested in meeting up, I live in zuid-holland in the netherlands.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:32 pm 

Hei,
reading this makes me curious to meet you! I live in Germany, Lower Sachsony, which seems close enough to nearby Nederlands... and I could arrange sleeping in Rheine (QUITE close to Enschede)...
still not sure if it would be possible to actually take any vacation (looking for a job right now and not sure how it will be next months), weekends be preferred :-)

I have no own OS project, but meeting some of you would be great!
(Just a blink thinking... maybe abuashraf also already would be in Germany and could/would come to see some folks, hmmm not sure if his visa would allow such things, but for me it would be great!)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:08 pm 

I live near Amersfoort. Sign me up for a meeting :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:09 pm 

Okey, so we are nearing the 31th and it seems to be an overwhelmingly dutch & german interest into meeting up. Meeting at a datacenter in Utrecht seems like a cool and sensible location but would there be anyone willing to organize something?

All I can offer is a bbq in Klazienaveen, a far away little place on the dutch/german border and offer use of a humble 50/50 fiber line, fries and fried snacks with a couple of locations to crash for the night if needed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:32 pm 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
Nutterts wrote:
at a datacenter in Utrecht
Not that kind of hosting :wink:. Although this room does have two properly filled Lackracks.

As far as I can see from this thread there are two possible hosts and a preference for the weekend. I know that offering a barbecue too far in advance is begging for Murphy's law on the weather, but maybe there are alternatives for that.

Let me drop the 7th of May as an option that should be far ahead enough to plan for, or do people prefer something later than that?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:44 pm 

I live in Aarhus, Denmark. I'm OK meeting there. Might travel to another city if it's a larger thing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:04 pm 

Combuster wrote:
Nutterts wrote:
at a datacenter in Utrecht
Not that kind of hosting :wink:. Although this room does have two properly filled Lackracks.

As far as I can see from this thread there are two possible hosts and a preference for the weekend. I know that offering a barbecue too far in advance is begging for Murphy's law on the weather, but maybe there are alternatives for that.

Let me drop the 7th of May as an option that should be far ahead enough to plan for, or do people prefer something later than that?

The 7th of May is an option for me. I am also willing to drive to Germany as long as it is not too far east.