OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: OS dev Blog
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:11 pm 

Hello

So I was thinking after roman posted a screen shoot of my OS on linux.org.ru, wouldn't it be nice if there was a website that was like an aggregate of everyones blogs, but perhaps curated so you only get the good posts and screenshots.

It would be like latest news from here, all the latest screenshots and all the latest ooh yeah moments people have in a blog format. I mean, sure there would be lots of people who just got page mapping working and lots of console baby steps screenshots, that may not appeal to you, but i think it's cool, especially when over time you see it grow into something else, or you dont.

I would make this website myself, but I don't want to make yet another website that no one visits. so i thought i would ask here what you ladies and gentlemen thought. Plus it would probably be much better if it was a part of this website, like news.osdev.org

I don't know if this is a good idea or not and I have had a few, so maybe i am talking out my bum.

Andrew.

Post subject: Re: OS dev Blog
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:36 pm 

Sounds like a good idea.

A question: were you thinking that this should be an automatic aggregate (like, "submit the URL of your OSdev blog, wait for the admin to check it out, then have all your on-topic substantial (as determined by some automated filter) posts appear here") or a manual thing (like, "sign up here and then you'll be able to submit on-topic substantial (as determined by some automated filter or human moderator) posts about your OS")?

Syntax checkup:
Wrong: OS's, IRQ's, zero'ing
Right: OSes, IRQs, zeroing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:16 pm 

onlyonemac wrote:
A question: were you thinking that this should be an automatic aggregate (like, "submit the URL of your OSdev blog, wait for the admin to check it out, then have all your on-topic substantial (as determined by some automated filter) posts appear here") or a manual thing (like, "sign up here and then you'll be able to submit on-topic substantial (as determined by some automated filter or human moderator) posts about your OS")?

I was thinking manual, a person or a group of people would have some sort of rss reader and follow all the submitted blogs, also they could read the forums, and any other source that might be of interest to people who enjoy os development as a hobby.

It wouldn't be a place for original articles but rather links to other articles (with a short description.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:03 am 

apamment wrote:
I was thinking manual, a person or a group of people would have some sort of rss reader and follow all the submitted blogs, also they could read the forums, and any other source that might be of interest to people who enjoy os development as a hobby.

It wouldn't be a place for original articles but rather links to other articles (with a short description.)
So you're thinking something like my first idea where the contributor submits the URL of their blog, but instead of having an automated filter to extract the posts there are people who read each of the submitted blogs and extract whatever posts they think are appropriate?

Syntax checkup:
Wrong: OS's, IRQ's, zero'ing
Right: OSes, IRQs, zeroing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:10 pm 

onlyonemac wrote:
So you're thinking something like my first idea where the contributor submits the URL of their blog, but instead of having an automated filter to extract the posts there are people who read each of the submitted blogs and extract whatever posts they think are appropriate?

Yes. So you just get the posts about their OS, rather than the other offtopic posts people put on their blogs. It could also be like undeadly.org where people submit articles, rather than blogs (i think that's how it works) but I guess that wouldn't be a lot different to reading a forum.

I guess I just like looking at screenshots and reading about new things people get in their OS.

It doesn't really matter, doesn't look like anyone is interested anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:28 am 

Doesn't /r/osdev already serve this purpose?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:31 am 

Roman wrote:

What is that?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:27 am 

apamment wrote:
Roman wrote:

What is that?
http://reddit.com/r/osdev