OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cloud Operating System - Are you interested in helping?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:43 pm 

dseller wrote:
Even though I am not interested in this position myself, I will ask some questions which sprung to mind when reading your initial post:

• What is the purpose of your OS? You say "cloud OS" but this could mean anything.
  • What is supposed to be the target group? Simple users, or corporate admins?
  • You say you have spent a few years on this project, how far are you from your goal?
  • "Automatically grow as required" -> this part worries me, because in this context "growing" might (and probably will) mean "entirely rewriting from scratch based on new requirements".
  • You say your "tests show your idea is feasible", perhaps you could share this insight?
  • The most concrete part of your post is about network throughput, is this the most important aspect of your OS?

I will show everyone when it is finished and online.

Ali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:48 pm 

tsdnz wrote:
dseller wrote:
Even though I am not interested in this position myself, I will ask some questions which sprung to mind when reading your initial post:

• What is the purpose of your OS? You say "cloud OS" but this could mean anything.
  • What is supposed to be the target group? Simple users, or corporate admins?
  • You say you have spent a few years on this project, how far are you from your goal?
  • "Automatically grow as required" -> this part worries me, because in this context "growing" might (and probably will) mean "entirely rewriting from scratch based on new requirements".
  • You say your "tests show your idea is feasible", perhaps you could share this insight?
  • The most concrete part of your post is about network throughput, is this the most important aspect of your OS?

I will show everyone when it is finished and online.

Ali

But how can you expect people to apply for this position if these simple questions can not be answered?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:01 pm 

dseller wrote:
But how can you expect people to apply for this position if these simple questions can not be answered?

LOL! +1 :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:59 am 

The lack of information, and evasion of reasonable questions, is a little suspicious. Without information it is not reasonable to expect further interest in a pie-in-the-sky project. You would be better advised to use a professional recruitment agency to find you a suitable candidate.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:50 am 

Thanks for your feedback.

Please let me start again.

First and foremost I will need a cross-compiler in cgywin, any one interested in giving up some time to help?
Right now I have enough money for me and my family to live on, so I cannot commit to paying for full-timers.
I am willing to pay for someone to setup a cross-compiler for me, but do not get excited, I need to food to live.

I have given myself one month to have the project ready for clients to view, and one month for touch-ups and meetings.

I think I should have time to do it myself, but just in case I thought I would ask if anyone was interested in helping.

How does this sound?
Is anyone keen to help with just setting up a cross-compiler stub?

I would like to post the cross-compiler stub file on a public site for all to use.

Kind Regards, Ali

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:33 am 

This is Snake Oil.

You appear to have no real project, no specifications, and the vaguest of aims. You aren't even prepared to spend an hour or so to produce a cross-compiler for yourself.

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:20 am 

tsdnz wrote:

There can be areas where a person just hasn't enough information to make something simple and learning required information can take days or even longer. In such a case I recommend:
1. Ask how can you do it and how long it takes to get required knowledge.
2. Ask a freelancer to do it for you using one of the freelancer sites and be ready to pay for the job some money that you will negotiate.

The latter option seems as not very expensive and it is much more honest than asking here to do it for you for free. Because simple jobs aren't fun enough to attract volunteers, but it's just the right thing for the freelancer community.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:36 pm 

iansjack wrote:
This is Snake Oil.

You appear to have no real project, no specifications, and the vaguest of aims. You aren't even prepared to spend an hour or so to produce a cross-compiler for yourself.

I'm out.

Ok, cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:37 pm 

embryo2 wrote:
tsdnz wrote:

There can be areas where a person just hasn't enough information to make something simple and learning required information can take days or even longer. In such a case I recommend:
1. Ask how can you do it and how long it takes to get required knowledge.
2. Ask a freelancer to do it for you using one of the freelancer sites and be ready to pay for the job some money that you will negotiate.

The latter option seems as not very expensive and it is much more honest than asking here to do it for you for free. Because simple jobs aren't fun enough to attract volunteers, but it's just the right thing for the freelancer community.

Righty, cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:23 pm 

tsdnz wrote:
I have given myself one month to have the project ready for clients to view, and one month for touch-ups and meetings.
Then you're only option is to pray to a higher power and kiss your @$$ goodbye.

Do yourself a favor and drop the bullsh*t. Cloud OS, sounds nice and fluffy... whats really on your mind.

Failed project: GoOS - https://github.com/nutterts/GoOS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:16 pm 

Nutterts wrote:
tsdnz wrote:
Then you're only option is to pray to a higher power and kiss your @$$ goodbye.

Do yourself a favor and drop the bullsh*t. Cloud OS, sounds nice and fluffy... whats really on your mind.

Wow, very positive.

I must be missing something?
I cannot see what b/s you are talking about.

The one month is demo mode, not released code, just an example to clients.
This is my deadline that I am trying to reach.

This system is fully on my mind, about the only thing I think of.

Ali.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:24 pm 

Creating a cross compiler for an OS is one thing, but porting cygwin64 is quite another. As i see it, this project wants to port a pseudo Unix subsystem, written to provide compatibility to a completely foreign design paradigm, to an kernel that shows zero interesting qualities. No explanation is given why cross compiling the regular applications is not an option, and even when we succeed with this monumental task, we will still be left with the biggest problem. This would, after all of that work, provide you with a Unix system that you admit to having very little experience with. If everything I just said was given to you by 8:00 tomorrow, and you had a full month from there to provide something interesting to show to a client, what would it be? Whats new? If I gave you a year how much more would you have? what part of this wondrous thing you built could not be built quicker,cheaper and run faster in python on top of Linux?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:22 am 

Merlin wrote:
Creating a cross compiler for an OS is one thing, but porting cygwin64 is quite another. As i see it, this project wants to port a pseudo Unix subsystem, written to provide compatibility to a completely foreign design paradigm, to an kernel that shows zero interesting qualities. No explanation is given why cross compiling the regular applications is not an option, and even when we succeed with this monumental task, we will still be left with the biggest problem. This would, after all of that work, provide you with a Unix system that you admit to having very little experience with. If everything I just said was given to you by 8:00 tomorrow, and you had a full month from there to provide something interesting to show to a client, what would it be? Whats new? If I gave you a year how much more would you have? what part of this wondrous thing you built could not be built quicker,cheaper and run faster in python on top of Linux?

Cheers mate, now things are getting clearer, I think I can now see where I have been leading everyone astray.

My apologies, I did not mean port cygwin64.

What I have is Windows with cygwin64.
I have a standard cross-compiler to compile my OS.
I am using Visual Studio as my IDE.
I have a program that is run from Visual Studio, when "Compile" or "Build All" or "Run" is requested.
Other options from VS are passed to the program, eg. "Release", "Debug"
The program changes the source code. Like adding a timestamp, and changing text that VS complains about.
This code is saved to a specific location (also passed from VS as I have a few OS's)
Then the program posts key presses to cygwin64 Terminal, to compile, etc..
The output is captured by the program and passed back to VS so I can see any warnings / errors.

If "Run" is requested it builds a CD binary.
Then it automates Oracle VM to start the image (CD binary).
Then it copies the CD binary to a folder for me to burn to a CD if I then want to test on a server.
The test server is connected using iDRAC6, connected to the CD.

This is working well for me.
I find VS IDE nice to use, very slow sometimes, but nice enough.
And all I do is press F5 (Run), and the warnings / errors are displayed in VS.
And/Or it pops up oracle VM with the OS starting/running.

I have another program that I use to compile my userspace programs.
It does basically the same above but I am using the standard cross-compiler.
I would like to use a custom one for my OS.
I can then write code that interacts with it and do as I wish.
For instance it would then be possible for a client to connect to a web page, send a file and it will be compiled for my OS.
The end result will be a little more complicated than this, and not just a simple web page text box.

Much, much, later I would like to port gcc to my OS.

I hope this is much clearer.

What I am after is someone to download cgywin64, and set it up as a cross-compiler for my OS.
It would be great if it was setup as a stub so others could use it and just change as they wish.
Then we can just upload the entire cgywin64 folder and use it.
It would be wicked if someone remove the unused files.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

Does this make more sense?

Ali

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:43 am 

Could you answer the following simple questions:

0) does it have a custom bootloader or it uses GRUB?
1) does it have memory management or multitasking?
2) can it load simple files from the disk and what file systems does it support?
3) does it have a proper CLI?
4) how many device drivers do you currently have?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:12 pm 

tsdnz wrote:
Merlin wrote:

Cheers mate, now things are getting clearer, I think I can now see where I have been leading everyone astray.

<snip>

Does this make more sense?

Ali

You just described your IDE and build environment. Still haven't provided any information about your OS, or answered any question.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next