OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Easy but modern way to access hardware resources
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:41 am 

Hi everyone :) It was a long time since my last visit here

(while reading this post, please consider I could write moderately horrible and incorrect sentences. That's primary because I know nothing about what an writing. "You know nothing, John ignus")

Recently I was thinking to buy the most beautiful piece of hardware a man has ever invented: Nvidia riva 128(ZX). The second graphics card produced by NVidia, released in 1997. The intent is to write an interface to let me use all the fancy-hw-accellerated-features, 2D and 3D (!!). The board is very well documented, primary because I'm not the first developer affacinated by this board.

Now. I've got a year 2005 motherboard with a multicore intel processor, that I usually use to test software for the company I work for (writing driver for -much less complicated- board, sort of routers). And now I've a problem. What OS should I use to develop my driver?
I need something that lets me access hw easily, but also something modern (not 640kb limit please). And, most important, I don't want to follow any driver model (no WDDM, I'm not smart enough to understand how it works. Honestly first).

I was thinking about FreeDOS + Dos Extender. But I never used it, I don't know if it meets my needs. My company uses a super-secret RTOS people can download for free on the net. I don't like it very much. I really don't know why, me and that rtos have a bad relationship.

I think I'll go dos+extender.

There's someone who wants to share his/her experience and suggestion here? Every voice will be heard

Post subject: Re: Easy but modern way to access hardware resources
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:09 am 

I can suggest you to use KolibriOS.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:14 am 

ignus wrote:
And, most important, I don't want to follow any driver model

It means you need an OS without any protection. But such OS is in no way close to "modern way to access hardware resources".

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:21 pm 

not sure if it is applicable to your situation: once you boot to efi shell in UEFI system, whole memory and IO space is accessible. There are array of commands available. EDKII has python that runs from EFI shell. That means speedy development possible in efi shell. I havent worked much with it though.

key takeaway after spending yrs on sw industry: big issue small because everyone jumps on it and fixes it. small issue is big since everyone ignores and it causes catastrophy later. #devilisinthedetails

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 3:38 am 

Since this post has already been ressurected...

I like this Metalkit project. http://scanlime.org/2008/03/introducing-metalkit/

VMWare uses it as the base for their 3D video graphics adapter example OS images.

It's essentially a boot loader, plus a few C libraries for finding PCI devices, writing text to the screen, handling interrupts, etc. I haven't used it myself, but it looks great if you just want to throw together a hardware driver of some sort.

Also, here is the VMWare project that uses Metalkit, if you want to see an example of how it can be used. https://sourceforge.net/p/vmware-svga/g ... /tree/lib/

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." - Montgomery Scott

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:48 am 

ggodw000 wrote:
not sure if it is applicable to your situation: once you boot to efi shell in UEFI system, whole memory and IO space is accessible. There are array of commands available. EDKII has python that runs from EFI shell. That means speedy development possible in efi shell. I havent worked much with it though.
I doubt his 2005 motherboard has an EFI BIOS.

Syntax checkup:
Wrong: OS's, IRQ's, zero'ing
Right: OSes, IRQs, zeroing