OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Many thanks to John Burger for his great tutorial and demo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:18 am 

Hi all -

I just wanted to pass on a very big "thank you" to John Burger for his great tutorial and demo here -
http://wiki.osdev.org/JohnBurger:Demo

Excellent stuff!

I believe that it complements the "Broken Thorn" tutorial series very well. I've found that having both tutorials available has been very useful in learning the various concepts. I found the keyboard part of Burger's tutorial particularly good.
( Keyboards and scan-codes etc are a particular interest of mine. I think the Plan 9 OS handles keystrokes particularly elegantly from what I've seen. )

So, if you're out there John Burger - thank you!
- mooseman

Post subject: Re: Many thanks to John Burger for his great tutorial and de
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:36 am 

Following the BrokenThorn tutorial is heavily discouraged. John Burger should be still around here, as the last edit on his wiki page was (only) about 3 months ago.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:35 pm 

Quote:
Following the BrokenThorn tutorial is heavily discouraged.

Hello,

We are always looking for additional information and feedback to improve the series. If you have any suggestions, please let us know. The only complaints that we are aware of is the use of MSVC for cross compilation rather than GCC which was done initially for simplicity however we tend to encourage the use of GCC or a custom tool chain in the long run to support self hosting. Some of the older articles also needs to be rewritten to provide more information and resolve small technical errors during the editing process.

If you do have any additional complaints or comments however, we would be happy to hear it and consider. Please PM or email us as to not hijack the original posters thread. We appreciate and encourage feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:42 pm 

Hi neon!

One minor change that I think would be very useful would be to have a Makefile (as well as or instead of the MS Project files).

I'm doing a makefile for my copy of the code at the moment but I'm not that great at doing them. Anyway, I'm sure that a makefile would be a very useful addition.
Keep up the good work - bye for now -
- mooseman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:15 am 

Hello,

We have published a list of technical errors that have been provided as of current here. This document outlines potential errors and editor comments and potential changes to version 1.2 of the series. We will continue to add more as needed through what is found in the analysis phase and community members that would like to help improve the content. All feedback is greatly appreciated for the next series update.

Quote:
One minor change that I think would be very useful would be to have a Makefile (as well as or instead of the MS Project files).

Thank you for your suggestion. We are considering the build environment to be used by the series. Although make files provide a finer level of control over the build process, build environments for larger software systems should provide an extra layer of project management control. We have actually been considering using nbuild which is what we developed for NSS. It works with the make utility and is compatible with MSVC and GCC. This of course is still subject to change - however we should really be targeting GCC more.

Please let us know if there are any additional comments or potential errors. We would prefer them to be provided through PM or e-mail as to not get off topic of the original post. The documentation will be updated as needed. All feedback is appreciated.