OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: What's with this monitor?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:48 pm 

Well, uh, I expect this issue is much bigger than I see, but here's what I got when I started my development machine today:
Yeah, Fractals? I loved fractals but I think this one's going to end giving me nightmares. WTF.
Thought it was just a random issue like the others, restarted it again, same result. Last night it was perfectly fine.
Removed the batteries, tried it again, same result. Seems to be a display issue. I expect physical damage to screen, but I don't remember banging it so hard to create "black holes" on it. One thing to note, these patterns are visible even after the screen is turned off. It's a Lenovo Z580 Ideapad, with a 15.6" LCD monitor, max resolution is 1366x768 if anyone's interested in the technical specs. What do you guys make of it?

That was horribly written,
But Thanks anyways for reading...

Last edited by Bender on Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: What's with this monitor?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:53 pm 

This happened to my phone once. I fell asleep with it in my pocket and woke up to a cracked screen.

OS project: venom OS
Hexadecimal Editor: hexed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:56 pm 

That's a broken screen, hands down.

- Monk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:52 pm 

Perhaps you attempted to punch someone over the Internet and hit some barriers, most notably your screen.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:37 am 

Isn't there already an art gallery of things broken in artful ways?
Yours could be exhibited there! :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:03 am 

Bender wrote:
I expect physical damage to screen, but I don't remember banging it so hard to create "black holes" on it.
There is one spot, in the middle slightly to the left, that looks like the point where it was damaged.

You didn't happen to close the lid while something was on the keyboard, did you?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:15 am 

Octocontrabass wrote:
You didn't happen to close the lid while something was on the keyboard, did you?

I think you have a point here, yes, I did close the lid after shutting the thing down, and I vaguely remember having 2 HDDs connected to the computer placed on the keyboard. But I think I'm missing the logic here...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:22 am 

Bender wrote:
Octocontrabass wrote:

I think you have a point here, yes, I did close the lid after shutting the thing down, and I vaguely remember having 2 HDDs connected to the computer placed on the keyboard. But I think I'm missing the logic here...

Today we learnt hard drives are harder than screens

OS project: venom OS
Hexadecimal Editor: hexed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:19 am 

b.zaar wrote:
Bender wrote:
Octocontrabass wrote:

Today we learnt hard drives are harder than screens

I guess they live up to their name "hard drives". Also, I think your screen is in a "hole" new level.
In a less joking note, you should be careful when shutting the lids of laptops, the screens can break rather easily, I heard a thumbdrive (back when thumbdrives are actually the size of the thumbs and not some really tiny storage device) broke a laptop screen.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:29 am 

Octocontrabass wrote:
I expect physical damage to screen, but I don't remember banging it so hard to create "black holes" on it.

Quote:

Having an object on the keyboard causes the force of closing the lid to be concentrated on whatever point on the screen the object first makes contact with when the lid closes, rather than being spread out around the screen bezel, as would happen without anything on the keyboard. So that's how you get enough force to break the display. And your photo shows a classic case of LCD damage. Generally what happens is that the containment for the liquid crystal cracks, causing it to spill out. Meanwhile, the screen surface itself often remains intact, so the leaked crystal gets sandwiched between the layers of the display and creates black blobs around the leak points.