OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Rejected by Google
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:46 pm 

Hello friends!
I applied for an internship at Google and asked a friend, who was a Google intern in 2014, to refer to my resume.
I received the no-you-are-not-applicable email yesterday. They didn't interview me; they "reviewed my resume and the hiring team decided not to move forward with my candidacy for the internship position."
I knew I might/would be rejected, but thought they would even make some interview with me...
I don't know why I am writing this post, But I just wanted to share the experience with you :D

Post subject: Re: Rejected by Google
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:56 pm 

Hey iocoder,

thanks for sharing your experience! :mrgreen:
Why did you already think you might be rejected?

Greets, Max

PS: just tried Quafios, cool stuff :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:16 pm 

max wrote:
Why did you already think you might be rejected?

Well, they didn't provide feedback. However, I think I was rejected because I sent them a version of my resume without my current GPA. Although my GPA was not bad, I thought it was not very important to put it in the resume. I thought I should present myself as I was, instead of presenting myself as a school nerd who got a high GPA and did some other useless punch of stuff. But It seems that they just care about your GPA... no matter what kind of student you are.

<edit> Sorry didn't get your question veyr well. Before I applied, I thought I might be rejected because it internships cost very high especially if you are from middle east :) </edit>

max wrote:
PS: just tried Quafios, cool stuff :)

Oh! thank you very much :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:36 pm 

Google is a highly desireable place to work, so they get lots of applications for vacancies or internships. The same will be true of any high-profile company. They are only going to interview a shortlist of a few percent of those that apply. That's life.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:22 pm 

iocoder wrote:
Hello friends!
I applied for an internship at Google and asked a friend, who was a Google intern in 2014, to refer to my resume.
I received the no-you-are-not-applicable email yesterday. They didn't interview me; they "reviewed my resume and the hiring team decided not to move forward with my candidacy for the internship position."
I knew I might/would be rejected, but thought they would even make some interview with me...
I don't know why I am writing this post, But I just wanted to share the experience with you :D

Most of the jobs I've applied for in my life I never heard anything back about. Rejection letters are rare, interviews rarer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:06 pm 

What iansjack and linguofreak said.

IMHO goog and many others in the industry have lousy interviewing practices.
Nonetheless, it looks like goog, when they aren't sure, would rather reject a good candidate than employ a bad one. There is some logic in that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:29 am 
iocoder wrote:

Is it a paid position? If not, then why the Google is so attractive? Many mature open source projects can give you the experience you are looking for. Even if it's paid there are many companies around. It is just numbers that matters. So, send your CV to as much companies as you can. And after a year of development experience send your CV again, you will see the difference. It means - just work and don't think that Google is the best.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:42 am 

embryo wrote:
iocoder wrote:

Is it a paid position? If not, then why the Google is so attractive? Many mature open source projects can give you the experience you are looking for. Even if it's paid there are many companies around. It is just numbers that matters. So, send your CV to as much companies as you can. And after a year of development experience send your CV again, you will see the difference. It means - just work and don't think that Google is the best.

Yes paid, but it was never attractive to me. I agree Google is not the best. Actually I also agree with RMS' point of view (http://stallman.org/google) and never wanted to be part of such company :D To be honest, I just applied there because my TA and colleagues at school told me that I must apply there. But being rejected because of my resume means that I am terribly bad, although I thought I was good... :|

P.S: Some friend says that my story is similar to "The Fox and the Grapes" :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:04 am 

So you applied for a position that you didn't really want? It seems that Google's decision saved everyone from wasting their time. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:09 am 

iansjack wrote:
So you applied for a position that you didn't really want? It seems that Google's decision saved everyone from wasting their time. :)

LOL True. It's a win-win situation :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:12 am 

Didn't you consider that putting "GNU/Linux" in your resume automatically exposes your Stallman-oriented attitude and they simply (and wisely) don't want someone like that inside their company?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:36 am 

aod wrote:
Didn't you consider that putting "GNU/Linux" in your resume automatically exposes your Stallman-oriented attitude and they simply (and wisely) don't want someone like that inside their company?

How "wise" is that? :shock: Why don't they accept the opponent opinions? :shock:
If they think about it, they will find that it is more wise to convert into a Stallman-compatible company instead of rejecting Stallman-oriented people who would -actually- benefit Google. :o

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:03 am 

Quote:
If they think about it, they will find that it is more wise to convert into a Stallman-compatible company instead of rejecting Stallman-oriented people who would -actually- benefit Google.

I've got a feeling that Google already know what it takes to be a successful company. Just a hunch.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:59 am 

iocoder wrote:
aod wrote:

How "wise" is that? :shock: Why don't they accept the opponent opinions? :shock:
If they think about it, they will find that it is more wise to convert into a Stallman-compatible company instead of rejecting Stallman-oriented people who would -actually- benefit Google. :o

Simply put, Google proves everyday that in their field of work, which is: CONDUCTING BUSINESS, they are extremely wise.
And why should they accept opponent's opinions?

But in this case it wasn't just a matter of opinion. You could be troll or saboteur, or more probably just wouldn't fit into their culture, so it is certainly win for them.

Btw.
Life of the True Freedom Fighter
TFF: [pointing to the sky] Ahhhh, The Evil Google, I hate you! You took away people's freeeeeeedom! [lot of saliva]
Colleagues of TFF: Hey, TFF, we decided you have to apply for an internship at Google!
TFF: OK!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:24 pm 

aod wrote:
or more probably just wouldn't fit into their culture

This really makes sense!

aod wrote:
Btw.
Life of the True Freedom Fighter
TFF: [pointing to the sky] Ahhhh, The Evil Google, I hate you! You took away people's freeeeeeedom! [lot of saliva]
Colleagues of TFF: Hey, TFF, we decided you have to apply for an internship at Google!
TFF: OK!

LOL :D
Well, I never said that I hated Google. RMS simply wrote this once upon a day: "If Google intends not to \"be evil\", it must stop this." Being in conflict with business leaders doesn't necessarily mean that they are the evil and we are the good.
However, I admit I was wrong (I was confused, actually) when I made a decision that conflicted with my own beliefs :cry: .
But hey I didn't say "Ok!" :D It was a really long discussion with my colleagues and my TAs and we had great arguments that lasted for days during last August! :)