OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Rejected by Google
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:49 pm 

:)

Yeah, but you know, many Stallman followers can often be pretty violent (at least verbally) and it's good tactical assumption that they will exhibit hatred. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:07 pm 

aod wrote:
Yeah, but you know, many Stallman followers can often be pretty violent (at least verbally) and it's good tactical assumption that they will exhibit hatred. :)

• Some men rape women, therefore all men hate women.
  • Some Muslims are terrorists, therefore all Muslims are terrorists.
  • Some Christians abuse young children, therefore all Christians are paedophiles.

All of these completely illogical statements use the same form of reasoning (some X are Y, therefore all X are Y) you just did. I would urge you very strongly to reconsider your logic there.

In addition, let's consider your key point here: that some GNUists "exhibit hatred". Is this really the case, or are they just passionate about a cause they believe in? Personally I'd prefer somebody passionate for a job, even if they disagreed with me, than with somebody apathetic. If Google is to be become "less evil", then it needs people on the inside who can champion the cause of being less evil. If Google is such a great place to work for, they will realise that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:20 pm 

It's not a matter of 2-value logic, but of probability. All real-world strategical and tactical decisions deal with probability. Besides, why should one care about logic?

Ad RMS followers. First, there is very little difference between passion and hatred.
Second, in our case it is not passion for a job, but passion for communist-like opinions.
And last but not least, you are obviously biased with your axiom that Google is evil enough that it could be less evil. So, as logic lover, you should be aware that your axiom system leads to certain valid statements that are invalid in other system and argument is pointless.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:03 am 
aod wrote:
in our case it is not passion for a job, but passion for communist-like opinions

It's funny, now the communists take place of hatred. But logic is still the same. X<Y, but somehow X==Y. May be it's because of "communist" operator?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:49 pm 

I also got rejected but that was after doing the second technical interview :) I can't really blame anyone but myself, I screwed up pretty bad. Also got sent to an interview at the wrong department but that's another story. Luckily I didn't spend time writing a resume or anything, they just contacted me out of the blue. It was fun doing the interview though even if the questions they asked were pretty stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:57 pm 

embryo wrote:
aod wrote:
in our case it is not passion for a job, but passion for communist-like opinions

It's funny, now the communists take place of hatred. But logic is still the same. X<Y, but somehow X==Y. May be it's because of "communist" operator?

And what's so funny?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:31 am 

Jezze wrote:
It was fun doing the interview though even if the questions they asked were pretty stupid.

What kind of stupid?

When they contacted me, I actually considered going through the process just out of curiosity, but when I realised that this would waste quite a bit of time and in the end I wouldn't accept an offer anyway, I stopped it before the first technical interview. But I'm still curious what it would have been like. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:23 am 

Well nearly all questions where trivial in the sense that the answers you can easily find by doing a google search. Sure I understand that they might have those but i dont understand why no question had more about reasoning or pros and cons about different solutions. I felt a bit after both the first and second interview like... what did they actually learn about me by asking this? I imagined the person on the other side just had a list of checkboxes to tick. Perhaps this is normal I dont know but it felt like what they were after was a human dictionary.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:53 pm 

Hi iocoder,

It's not the end of the world. A big company job does not always mean good quality of work. Keep on applying to as many companies as you can !. If you want more exposure join a small start up or somewhat abandoned small groups within big companies ( not a financially great idea, do your research as best as you can).
--Thomas

PS: I have worked for 3 giant software/hardware corporations.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:54 am 

Thomas wrote:
It's not the end of the world. A big company job does not always mean good quality of work.

The size of the company does not matter. If need to be happy with your job. As long as I'd earn a decent living wage, I'd consider these more important than pay:

- Coworkers - do you work with people you like? Could they be your friends? Do you share interests? What is better than coming in everday and spending time with your best friends?
- Interest area - does the company do something that interests you? Will it make you feel accomplished? Will you be proud of what you do?
- Location - is it an area you're willing to live in (if you relocate?) Is it an area you're willing to work in (convenience of popping into stores after work, decent variety of places you can walk to lunch?) What will your commute and transportation options look like?