Post subject: New OS dev forum
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:18 am 

I started a new OS dev forum:

http://ambasa.x10.mx/forum/index.php?as ... e9q&fid=30

See the Asm section for the list of supported platforms:

http://ambasa.x10.mx/forum/index.php?as ... e9q&fid=31

Post subject: Re: New OS dev forum
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:43 am 

So what are the advantages over this forum, that would motivate us to even consider going there?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:59 pm 

It is just another to talk about os develop....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:09 pm 

I'm not convinced that it is a good idea to hijack the osdev wiki as if it were your own.

If you want to set up a wiki and run a forum devoted to discussing topics on it that may be a good thing, but leeching off someone else's work isn't.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:03 pm 

fatman2021 wrote:
http://ambasa.x10.mx/forum/index.php?as ... e9q&fid=30

Kudos for the attempt, sorry for joining the thousands of others who thought they could open a forum like this one but closed shortly after.

Its like creating software. What makes your software better than the software you are having it compete with? If you aren't one of the first forums on this subject to open, chances are you won't have attracted all of the professionals this one has over the years. That is the number one feature of this forum (and any other information forum), next to the wiki (Number 2, as almost no new user lately reads it) as this forum is to help experienced programmers get into Operating System development. If you have professionals who do it/have done it for a living, or have stacks of degrees and research involving it, you have people who can give very high quality answers minus the bullshit a newbie would leave in. It's straight to the point, good quality information that most developers want. Without the professionals, there is no way you could out do this forum. Plus, people would see the activity of this forum in comparison to yours, and think yours has already died (especially when seeing the Registered Member population comparisons). People would think, everyone goes here, so they probably should too. There are a lot more variables, but i think you're trolling us so i'm going to end it here.

Just saving you time. In short,
You're too late, welcome to The Operating System development forum.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:24 pm 

When I posted earlier I thought you were just linking to wiki.osdev.org without explaining that it is actually nothing to do with you and the rest of your web site. This is what I meant by "leeching". I now realize that the whole post that you linked to in your OP here is just lifted word-for-word, without any attribution, from the osdev wiki.

You give the impression that it is your own work. That is worse than leeching, it is simple plagiarism. You should be ashamed of yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:31 am 

Quote:
Its like creating software. What makes your software better than the software you are having it compete with?

If that's the case......
Let's stop OSDeving, Windows and Linux are okay to stay with, or let's simply stop creating stuff, Nature's creations are obviously better than man-made things. A computer vs. A human brain, which has a more complex structure? (Although human brains suck at (7098339494958585874933292 x 1033939485558)/sin(23.45555666), but they are definitely more complex and obviously better in most cases which involves thinking, reactions and day to day skills). Never compare your creations with others that will simply make you more dissatisfied.
Quote:
Just saving you time. In short,
You're too late, welcome to The Operating System development forum.

It's like M$ and Linus telling us, you guys are too late, stop wasting your time OSDeving, and use Linux or Windows.
BTW if anyone wonders what the answer is....-7.3809848e+36
@OP I see no problem in having another OSDev forum, but I'd suggest to first write some helpful documentation, so that people get attracted to your website. Also, duplicating this site won't help you. :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:02 am 

Hi,

I like to think competition is good - if there was good competition, it'd just make us try harder to improve osdev.org's forums and wiki.

Sadly, (at least for English) all the other OS development forums either died or are deserted, and there's very little competition. The closest competition I can think of is the FASM forum's little OS developer section, but that's mostly just 3 people that can't even manage to get out of real mode. 8)

Cheers,

Brendan

For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:36 am 

Quote:
but that's mostly just 3 people that can't even manage to get out of real mode.

:)
(Guessing one of em is me, But even I think RM is BS, and shouldn't be used other than experiments or learning basic assembly, or programming for ancient hardware)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:40 pm 

sid123 wrote:
If that's the case......

I'll admit, you got me there. I wasn't specific.