OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: What goes in a name?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:40 am 

Kevin wrote:
Why not just lock()? In the libc you need to be somewhat careful to avoid polluting the namespace too much, but in the kernel or an application, there's no reason to avoid short names like this.

Well for other things apart from lock, malloc etc.. for stuff like file_write/read etc... it keeps things organized? like when I call kernel_malloc, I know exactly what part of the OS is going to be doing this function. (malloc, realloc, free wouldnt have a prefix)

[EDIT] yeah, you're right... but the kernel malloc would be different to the API malloc?

Last edited by codertom on Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:43 am 

I just prefix my functions with 'os_'. Example 'os_write'. As for my OS name I just by mistake spelt zirconium as zicronium, replaced the ium with 'nix' and got Zicronix. LOL just take out the periodic table and enjoy naming your os. 8)

Last edited by Bender on Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:47 am 

Bender wrote:
I just prefix my functions with 'os_'. Example 'os_write'. As for my OS name I just by mistake spelt zirconium as zicronium, replaced the ium and got Zicronix. LOL

Nice name :) I'm guessing by the suffix "x" it's Unix based (or clone like Linux)? I'm thinking of using the x suffix as well but not base the OS on Unix (however it would be confusing) but maybe copy some of Unix's functionality. e.g command line pipelining

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:52 am 

codertom wrote:
Bender wrote:
I just prefix my functions with 'os_'. Example 'os_write'. As for my OS name I just by mistake spelt zirconium as zicronium, replaced the ium and got Zicronix. LOL

Nice name :) I'm guessing by the suffix "x" it's Unix based (or clone like Linux)? I'm thinking of using the x suffix as well but not base the OS on Unix (however it would be confusing) but maybe copy some of Unix's functionality. e.g command line pipelining

striving to be a UNIX-Compliant. :) Everything is file descriptor, so yeah that should bring it close to UNIX.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:06 am 

Bender wrote:
codertom wrote:
Bender wrote:

striving to be a UNIX-Compliant. :) Everything is file descriptor, so yeah that should bring it close to UNIX.

Hmm I'm more of a "everything is an object" approach to handling drivers and system stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:07 pm 

My code name is xxxOS. I thought of calling it Aurora (I don't know why - perhaps because it sounded a bit like the kind of code name you would find coming from large software companies), but that made it sound too slick when in fact it's got a a blocky text-based GUI. (Maybe one day it will get a proper GUI.)

Syntax checkup:
Wrong: OS's, IRQ's, zero'ing
Right: OSes, IRQs, zeroing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:11 pm 

Aurora

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:36 pm 

Just pick random words, merge some if you want. Axe, wheels, windscreen. You get the idea. Sometimes I look for antonyms related to what the project is.

I wouldn't worry too much if the name is taken, as long as a) it's not an obvious trademark they made up and b) your projects are unrelated you should be okay.

My os: Perception
My programming language: Shovel
My wiki software: Collaborate

Last edited by AndrewAPrice on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:04 am 

In my experience, prototypes tend to have female names. The Amiga had chips with female names: Agnus, Denise, and Paula. One of the few male names used that I can think of is Bluetooth. http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1269737.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:36 pm 

When my OS progresses to the point where it's more than just a bunch of nonsense (in awhile), it'll get an actual name. Otherwise for the time being it's going under the codename Dagger.

I originally thought of it, thought it would be good for such a project, and realized that it's because in most respects, a dagger is a pretty blunt and ugly instrument. It takes a lot of work to get finesse with one. That appeals to me in my OS endeavors.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:17 pm 

I just named my virtual machine Turkey. To distinguish it from my OS Perception, incase I want to use it in another project.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:10 pm 

Quote:
<mrfy> hmm. my title choice was questioned
<pembroke> what title did you ask for?
<mrfy> software zymurgist
<mrfy> "I was curious, since 'zymurgist' usually has to do with the chemical fermentation process in the production of wine. Perhaps that's a term also used in software, and I apologize for having second guessed this if that is the case."

I love this quote, so i added "software zymurgist" in my linkedin profile.
Then i called my OS "zymology" : Studying fermentation of a 64 bit operating system for x86-64 architecture

Other project name :
- "honk" : this project is stupid, it needed a stupid name : https://github.com/ker2x/honk
- "lyly" : a programming language, i needed something that could also be a nice file extension, it's .ly2
- "pilule" : because http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Fukito ... 289707.jpg
- "md5pipe" : that what i googled when i tried to find something that can tell me the md5 of a streaam of data : # producer | md5pipe | consumer
- "passgen" : Deterministic secure password generator
- "parenthese" : another programming language, lisp-like
- "pgpoutre" : stressing a postgresql server, from the french "poutrer"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:28 am 

Both my language project and my OS project are under the name 'Thelema', which is classical Greek for 'will' or 'willpower'. I chose it as a bit of wordplay to tweak some Thelemite friends I had when in California. Hence the motto of the project:

'Do What Thou Wilt' Shall Be the Goal of the Language

The mystical connotations make for some useful metaphors, as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:03 am 

Mine's LilOS - LIttLe Operating System