OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Windows 8 or 10?
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:21 am 

I am a long time windows 7 user(only for gaming) and it seems that microsoft is no more releasing updates for windows 7 so it is time to update but to which one 8 or 10 ? 8 already has most of the games and softwares but no games has been made yet for windows 10 with directx 12 support so it will have no benifit on the other hand 10 will come with the latest softwares like direct x12 , edge , cortona etc.. So what should i choose?

Post subject: Re: Windows 8 or 10?
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:45 am 

Windows 10 is only a Technical Preview at present.You could certainly try it if you have nothing important on your computer but, if you do, prepare for a clean install at a later date.

What updates to Windows 7 are you so desperate for? There will still be security updates for the foreseeable future. Personally I would just stick with Windows 7 until Windows 10 is formally released, then take advantage of the free update. But, if for some reason you have to update right now I would go for 8 and then install 10 when it is available.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:55 am 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
Windows 7 reached mainstream EOL last january and will only get security and other critical patches from now on.

You can always grab windows 8 now and try the update to see if it suits when it comes out, and then still have the option to kill everything and go back to 8 if it doesn't suit your taste, on the other hand it's certainly cheaper to avoid that extra buy and use the free upgrade from 7 instead.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:21 pm 

Thanks for the replys. I guess i will go with windows 8 first and wait for the stable 10 release.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:39 am 

Hi,

deadChicken98 wrote:
Thanks for the replys. I guess i will go with windows 8 first and wait for the stable 10 release.

From what I've heard Microsoft is planning to allow people that purchased Windows 8 to upgrade to Windows 10 for free within the first 6 months after Windows 10 is released.

Note: Upgrades are profit for Microsoft, so I'm not sure what Microsoft's motivation for this might be. I hope it's the first step towards luring users into some sort of future monthly subscription scheme (as that'd be good for hobby OSs, Linux, etc). ;)

Cheers,

Brendan

For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:26 am 

Brendan wrote:
From what I've heard Microsoft is planning to allow people that purchased Windows 8 to upgrade to Windows 10 for free within the first 6 months after Windows 10 is released.

Note: Upgrades are profit for Microsoft, so I'm not sure what Microsoft's motivation for this might be. I hope it's the first step towards luring users into some sort of future monthly subscription scheme (as that'd be good for hobby OSs, Linux, etc). ;)

Cheers,

Brendan

its a year, not 6 months (and after that year, it will likely be extended indefinitely), and its not just for win8... it also includes win7 (don't remember if it also includes vista or not)

the reasoning is quite simple: MS makes almost nothing selling upgrade copies (most people just continue running whatever version came with the computer until they replace the computer) -- almost all windows sales are for OEM & volume licenses, so this makes a lot of sense from MS perspective, since this will greatly increase the adoption rate (they are quite desperate to avoid another winXP situation) -- also, win10 will likely be the last version of windows ever created, with all further changes being made as updates to it

in other words, MS will loose the (very low selling) upgrade (and full version) sales, in exchange for everyone running the same platform (huge reduction in support -- probably save more money reducing this than they will loose from upgrade sales) while keeping the OEM and volume sales which already make up almost all of the income from windows anyway

windows already has a subscription model (and has since winXP, if not earlier) but the general consumer will never support that -- instead, MS is moving to a model where you simply use what came with your computer, and never upgrade (very little difference from MS perspective, since most people already do this, but people aren't stuck with 15-year-old OSes they expect MS to continue supporting and patching for free)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:19 pm 

Microsoft will be issuing updates for Windows 7 until January 2020.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:36 pm 

mathematician wrote:
Microsoft will be issuing updates for Windows 7 until January 2020.

Microsoft will be issuing security updates for Windows 7 until January 2020.