OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Studying abroad in the US
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:42 am 

newanabe wrote:
what you produce while studying, belongs to the university.

I've never heard of this before. If it's your class work, or something you do on university equipment during your class time, then maybe - but how do they have the authority to claim anything you produce in your own time? I may be wrong, depending on your local laws?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:44 am 

@Thomas: What is your native country? What American city are you studying in?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:44 am 

I am from India , now in Reno ,Nevada

--Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:14 pm 

http://www1.georgetown.edu/facultyhandbook/toc/section4/sub2/
I think better not to patent, sell, publish nothing nearing the field of the study matter. I think it is clear to who belongs the patent when one is on it's 4th year and upon him are only two possibilities: keep the title and give the patent to the university or leave the university losing the title and keep the patent(hopefully). That's the way I see a not theoretical, but a practical situation of conflict between a student and its university.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:40 pm 

MessiahAndrw wrote:
newanabe wrote:
what you produce while studying, belongs to the university.

I've never heard of this before. If it's your class work, or something you do on university equipment during your class time, then maybe - but how do they have the authority to claim anything you produce in your own time? I may be wrong, depending on your local laws?

yes....

Quote:
Google was founded by Larry Page and Sergey Brin while they were Ph.D. students at Stanford University. Together they own about 16 percent of its shares.

Google belongs to Stanford University ..... Source

Think beyond Windows ReactOS®

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:24 pm 

I think it could be a good idea to register the name of my bunch of codes(OS?) before starting the study.

One question:
Is there some way to show my work to some representative of the university that I want to be accepted at, and he to admit me judging from that work of mine? Like putting the name of my product or link to my working progress in my motivational letter.... I don't know if such thing could help me to be admitted.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:45 pm 

MessiahAndrw wrote:
To cover the cost I was going to work an extra year or more to cover the cost. But for every year I work, that's a year more until I graduate. Starting locally and then transferring credit is difficult or near impossible I read, also adding that Australian and US course units differ in what they cover. I thinking about online tuition from a US university to at least cover some of the courses required while still in Australia and gain college credit, then transfer to a campus university when I'm ready to move. I'm worried about this because even though there are a lot of accredited universities offering online education, mentioning 'online' may automatically make an employer think I attended a diploma mill. Considering that, I think I'm better off just waiting and doing all my studying on campus.

Sorry if this has already been covered, but you can sometimes earn a stipend at most graduate schools by just working for them (teaching simple classes and grading). These can be anywhere from 4k to 20k USD depending on the size/funding of the university. I think these are usually offered when you get a reply to your application.

Someone mentioned the grueling pace. That should be emphasized. The top graduate from my school in recent years went to UNC (#20 in the US) for a master's in CS and has found the theoretical part to be particularly challenging. To give you an idea of the type of person we're talking about, he double majored in pure math and cs and wrote a genetic algorithm based part of speech tagger for his final project. The point is that upper middle class schools (like UNC) will still be challenging and interesting.

EDIT: I just noticed how old this thread is... Oh well.

And stuff you produce at school isn't always the school's. It depends on the rules of the school. A friend of mine developed an app for tracking our campus buses for his final project and tried to sell it to the school. They tried to say it was theirs anyway, but the legal team apparently disagreed, b/c they didn't take it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:35 am 

Last month, I approach a few Australia study immigration consultants in Chandigarh as I want to go and study in Australia. I really find visa rules for both nations quite different.

Last edited by Combuster on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Advertisement stripped.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:14 pm 

What universities in Australia are you interested in? If you do have a choice, I'd suggest one in a major city centre like the Queensland University of Technology or the University of Adelaide. Especially as an international student it will help having everything (food, stores, doctors, post offices, banks, trains, entertainment, etc.) only a few minutes walk away compared to a suburban campus where the amenities will be much more limited.