OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Google Chrome
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:23 am 

What do you think about Google Chrome?

I think it's a really beautiful browser, also if it's only in the beta stage...
It's really fast, also if my Mozilla is faster because I've modified the configuration and because I've AdBlock Plus.

However now I'm using Google Chrome because it's more beautiful than Mozilla and because the interface is really wonderful!

Try it and let me know what do you think about it!

EDIT: Javascript in Google Chrome is really really faster! The fastest implementation I've ever seen!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jeko - Jeko Operating System

Post subject: Re: Google Chrome
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:44 am 

I think lynx is faster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:47 am 

babylon2233 wrote:
I think lynx is faster

Maybe it's faster... But I don't want a text only browser...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:39 am 

I have not personally used it, but i've read up about it.

The primary goal it seems is to re-create the browser wars of IE and Netscape and hopefully come out on top. This is good for us as you will begin to see mass features getting thrown into each browser in hopes to 'wow' everyone. I don't see this happening the way google sees it. First off, i think Chrome will be competing with Firefox, Opera and Safari and probably won't even hear a battle cry from MS unless it can surpass those.

They did go for a 'innovative' design that would do away with add-on breakage from upgrade to upgrade, but in the articles I read, there wasn't anything that was so advanced or so unique that would make me switch browsers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:57 am 

I tried it and I love it.

It's simle and FAST. I think future will be very interesting indeed in the web. Besides Google has teh capacity to promote their browser in ways even Microsoft can't. (think of Google Search, gmail, google apps, ...)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:15 am 

Google Chrome is BSD licenced.... ;)

http://dev.chromium.org/

Personally, I believe they should have had the browser working on OSX/Linux before releasing their currently Windows-only version, at least that would have allowed a BSD port.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:21 am 

Google can interface Chrome with his many web applications. I'm using it now, the interface is the best, the speed of javascript is the best, the speed of page rendering is the best (after Mozilla, but only because Mozilla block the advertisements), and it is really stable!

Time ago I tried Safari, it was beautiful, but it crashed, for example, every time I tried to download something. Chrome is never crashed and it's a beta version...

I like it... And the interface fit perfectly with my OSDev.org theme!

However I think Chrome can be a competitor with IE. In fact I downloaded it only because I read "Download Chrome Beta" on the Google Homepage. Why? Because people use Google and people love Google.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:55 pm 

Jeko wrote:
EDIT: Javascript in Google Chrome is really really faster! The fastest implementation I've ever seen!

It's because the javascript is compiled into machine code and then executed, rather than continually interpreted. I'm excited that javascript will finally be muti-threaded, but I haven't tried chrome yet because I haven't been in windows.

/edit: I'll wait until someone else strips out google's license and releases the same browser under better terms, or google changes these terms.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:28 am 

The questionable terms in the EULA have been fixed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:19 am 

My friend and I have always said two companies should take over the computing, and perhaps the whole, world and they are Google and Valve. Valve should own all entertainment and Google should own the rest. So likewise as soon as I heard about chrome I replaced opera.

The only complaint I have is the fact that whenever you close the last tab I'm so used to going back to the speed dial page. Which in chrome they take the liberty of closing the browser but oh well It will become habit here in a few weeks I'm sure.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:00 pm 

I've read about a vulnerability of Google Chrome. Google took code from a old Apple Webkit version, and took also his vulnerability (that in the new version of Webkit is patched)...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:25 am 

Some interesting (negative) points about Chrome that I won't bother going over can be found here.

chezzestix: The idea of a single (or even just two) companies taking over the whole computing economy really scares me. Valve make good computer games yes, but they only really make FPS games. What about all the other genres? Basically the development of the computer industry, the thing that makes it such an interesting place to be at the moment (IMHO), would stagnate. If Google is the only search engine, why would they bother fixing bugs, making it better, or anything else? Basically, the market principle needs to be in effect for the industry to work.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:07 am 

JackScott wrote:
Some interesting (negative) points about Chrome that I won't bother going over can be found here.

chezzestix: The idea of a single (or even just two) companies taking over the whole computing economy really scares me. Valve make good computer games yes, but they only really make FPS games. What about all the other genres? Basically the development of the computer industry, the thing that makes it such an interesting place to be at the moment (IMHO), would stagnate. If Google is the only search engine, why would they bother fixing bugs, making it better, or anything else? Basically, the market principle needs to be in effect for the industry to work.

it call corporate competition. Without it Google will look like Mosaic. They make better search engine and Browsers just because We(the customer) will go to that program.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:35 pm 

To the best that I can tell, the google programmers are several orders of magnitude better at coding than M$, or the rag-tag bunch of volunteer "developers" that contribute crap for Firefox. I will be testing Chrome soon, and if it has less than half the memory requirements of Firefox, I'll be switching. Yes, this beta may have some vulnerabilities -- but I'll bet they get fixed very fast, and fixed right -- not like M$ or Mozilla.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:43 pm 

Don't bother, it is fugly and it renders things wrong like the file open control, you can't even see it. from a web dev point of view it sucks, I hope it just goes away because I do not plan to support it ever. I think the quirks of IE is bad enough, we certainly do not need another f-ed up browser to code for.