OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The FAQ is your friend!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:33 am 

OK, I see some tendency in the posts of the last few days...

Many people who have been newcomers themselves not too long ago have begun tackling the questions asked by really new newcomers. Definitely A Good Thing (tm).

Newcomers keep asking questions that are basically answered in the Quick Links thread or the FAQ. That is A Bad Thing (tm) but cannot be avoided.

But it seems as if less and less of such "redundant" questions are answered with a FAQ Wiki link, as should be the case. Instead, the questions are answered in full (again...), with lots of alternatives and opinions given... and that worries me.

The FAQ Wiki is the "core" of the OS development resource mega-tokyo.com. If you feel that something asked frequently is not properly answered in the FAQ Wiki (or it could need extension), please edit the Wiki.

I strongly feel that wherever possible, a link to the FAQ is the preferred answer to a simple question. If that means you edit the FAQ first and then post the link, so be it.

Answering the simple questions in the forum over and over becomes boring pretty quick. That means that less people will be willing to answer the difficult questions in here...

Post subject: Re:The FAQ is your friend!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:46 am 
I totally agree. I've started getting into giving out wiki links, though how I do that tends to be something like

Quote:
Relevant part of their question

Very short copy-paste out the wiki giving minimal info needed (a single sentence or so)

A note that they should go here for more info (link to the wiki page obviously)