OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: All this & that, but where really to start..help!!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 6:59 pm 
Ok, i have _read_ through many book about the "DESIGN" of operating systems, but none talk about implementation...and personally, when i look at existing kernels, I have no idea around it. Seems like I know which theory to apply here but have NO clue about getting started with it. I looked at the kernels from this site,  still in vain.

I know after I get the kernel loaded, I need to start the memory manager, task manager(scheduler), file system manager etc....but how!! My idea is to create classes for each one, and there will be one main file that starts each class. I am anxious to do this in C++, as you can see ;) The thing that I always wonder is how....can anyone guide me through this? at least a small example. I would be very grateful. If you other means, let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Shawn

You can contact me at [email protected], if you wish. Thanks again.

Post subject: A couple of things...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 7:04 pm 
When I said I know how to start up the mem manager, task manger, etc., I meant that how they actually talk to the computer, like get the size of the memory, how the kernel actually separates the memory into pages, etc [for the memory manager]; how to like access the disks, now what partitions are there, etc...

I know the theory behind each module of the kernel, but dont have any idea how it is implemented in real life. Hope this clears it up a little. Thanks for helping.

Shawn

Post subject: Re: All this & that, but where really to start..he
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2001 1:19 am 
read my FAQ

here at http://www.mega-tokyo.com/os