OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: how many interrupts to check?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2001 7:24 am 
ok how many interrupts should be check for other than the 0-18?

Post subject: Re: how many interrupts to check?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2001 8:24 am 
Only the lower interrupts HAVE to be checked (if you don't want unhandled exceptions). ?After that, it's up to you. ?Keep in mind though that (at least on a 386) interrupts 17-31 (dec) are Intel reserved (i.e. Set the int descriptor to zero and forget about them until you find that they are used by some new hardware feature/processor/etc...). ?Nonmaskable interrupts fire on int 2 so be sure to handle that one if you havent disabled or want to re-enable NMI. ?Interrupts 32-255 (dec) are available for your use (can be programmed by the 8259A PIC) but don't have to be handled until you want them to. ?Interrupts 9 and 15 (dec) are reserved (as listed by 80386 Programmer's Reference Manual). ?Keep in mind that if you're programming for a later processor, this info might have changed, 0 - 16 are must haves in any operating system. ?You'll probably want to start with 13 (General Protection Fault), 14 (Page Fault), 11 (Segment Not Present), 10 (Invalid TSS) , and 12 (Stack Exception). ?These are probably the most common exceptions generated (esp 13). ?All numbers are decimal btw.

I know, you probably didn't NEED that much of an explanation, but I was feeling prolific ;-)