OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: My kernel works!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2001 6:44 pm 
Well sorta, my website has the full scoop, but I've only been working on this OS for two weeks, and I've already got task switching implemented. ?I've also implemented panic routines for all the exceptions so if one should fire off, it prints the name of the exception plus (optionally) an error message and then hlts the processor. ?It's better than having it reboot and having no idea what went wrong. ?

Anyway, I'll keep everybody posted, the most latest news on my (as yet unnamed) OS is always on my website (see signature below).

Post subject: Re: My kernel works!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 8:18 pm 
So as not to pollute the main top level threads, I'll post things I think are worth knowing under here. ?

Anyway, tonight I implemented PIC initialization and IRQ handlers, more info is available from my website. ?You can now build the os by downloading all the files, removing the .txt extension from them, putting a blank floppy in your disk drive, and running the two install.sh scripts. ?One is in the boot directory, the other is in the kernel directory. ?The installer scripts assume nasm is installed on your system, as well as ld (which I'm sure you have). ?I don't know much about make or makefiles, but I should learn about them whenever I get the chance to get away from this install.sh stuff. ?I think I'll start releasing the source as a tarball as well (without the .txt at the end) because something tells me freeservers isn't going to be too flexible here. ?Look for that tomorrow or so. ?If this thing gets even remotely useful I'll probably host a CVS on Sourceforge.

Ok enough rambling, good night :)